El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself suddenly needing to use my El Camino as a <gasp> TRUCK! The horror....

I need to make a six hour round trip to pick up a hutch and somehow it makes sense to me to actually use the El Camino pickup bed for something other than storing parts while I do various modifications and improvements. Which means that I will need some sort of anchor points for tie down straps.

I’m hoping to find something that will mount somewhat flat inside the bed side walls. Best would be some sort of two piece gizmo where I could mount small flat receivers then attach rings or whatever to them as necessary. I’ve already got a pile of E-Track anchors but I’m not thinking E-Tracks would look very nice screwed into my nice bed sides.

Please give me suggestions. I need them to be strong, but not ugly.

As always, thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I would try to fish a belt or cable through the frame drain holes and hold it down like that.. Ask the tow drivers.. If wrap around the rear end make sure you don't smash the rear brake lines...

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,563 Posts
I would try to fish a belt or cable through the frame drain holes and hold it down like that.. Ask the tow drivers.. If wrap around the rear end make sure you don't smash the rear brake lines...
Tom , for many years I had some neat tie downs in my 83 Camino . Sorry that I no longer have the 83 or remember where I purchased them from . My best thought is from J.C. Whitney and Company if they are still in business . They were chromed around 2 in. x 2 in. square and approx 3/4 in. thick with a small T shaped tie bar that lifted up that you could rap a line around and they then folded down flat when not in use . Four sturdy stainless steel sheet metal type screws held them against the bed . I had four of them in the bed . Hope this helps .

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom , for many years I had some neat tie downs in my 83 Camino . Sorry that I no longer have the 83 or remember where I purchased them from . My best thought is from J.C. Whitney and Company if they are still in business . They were chromed around 2 in. x 2 in. square and approx 3/4 in. thick with a small T shaped tie bar that lifted up that you could rap a line around and they then folded down flat when not in use . Four sturdy stainless steel sheet metal type screws held them against the bed . I had four of them in the bed . Hope this helps .
I’m worried about sheet metal screws. I was first thinking about attaching something with rivet nuts but even those seem like they may pull if too much pressure is applied.

I’ve stumbled upon some square X-mounts that accept the E-rail type anchors that bolt on at all four corners. I already have plenty of the E-track anchors so I’d be able to use those.

I know it would be easy to bolt those on with some thick backing plates on the front of the bed through to the cab side and at the rear sides near the inspection covers. I’d like to not drill through to the cab area at the front of the bed, but I’m thinking there’s no real way to access the inside of the bed sides toward the front. Any ideas there?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I’m worried about sheet metal screws. I was first thinking about attaching something with rivet nuts but even those seem like they may pull if too much pressure is applied.

I’ve stumbled upon some square X-mounts that accept the E-rail type anchors that bolt on at all four corners. I already have plenty of the E-track anchors so I’d be able to use those.

I know it would be easy to bolt those on with some thick backing plates on the front of the bed through to the cab side and at the rear sides near the inspection covers. I’d like to not drill through to the cab area at the front of the bed, but I’m thinking there’s no real way to access the inside of the bed sides toward the front. Any ideas there?

View attachment 130699
Those look pretty strong and the best part is if you ever removed them there would only be some holes to weld up. Also, I think these would be a pretty clean install and really not detract from the looks at all. If they were painted the same color as the bed would hardly stand out at all. If you do put a couple at the cab panel just use a good sealer or rubber gasket to keep out the water.

Joe

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those look pretty strong and the best part is if you ever removed them there would only be some holes to weld up. Also, I think these would be a pretty clean install and really not detract from the looks at all. If they were painted the same color as the bed would hardly stand out at all. If you do put a couple at the cab panel just use a good sealer or rubber gasket to keep out the water.

Joe
You know... I’m suddenly thinking the best way to mount these to the side panel would be to add a 1” hole in the panel right in the center of the bracket. Bolt the bracket in place with heavy fender washers behind each bolt using that center hole for rear access. Then put a rubber plug over the 1” access hole.

Any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sorry I'm not half asleep now lol..

I used 3/8" eye bolts and installed them were I could get my hand behind the inner bed panel..

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually use my El Camino as a daily/work vehicle. I came up with putting these in around the bed walls, using a washer and tapping a 14-20 threaded hole for the bolt.

Tie-down anchor
You know... Maybe I've been overthinking this. Those look like the simplest answer.

Thanks for posting.

Tom.

·
Registered
475 Posts

I have a set up just like this. Found mine at a swap meet years ago, but they look just like these: Amazon.com: 4 Pc Rope Cleats Chrome Fold Away Hook Trailer Anchor Tie Down Outdoors Boat: Automotive

I used the screws that they came with and have hauled motorcycles with them. You can access the rear of the sheet metal at the front of the bed through the smuggler's box of you wanted to use bolts with washers on the back side.

The factory option tie downs looked similar to this-

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn’t know that you could get up into those inner panels through the smugglers box. That’s good to know. Whomever sprayed the bed liner in mine did a pretty good job of sealing over the cover so I’m not sure if I can even get it off without major surgery. But good information to have.

Thank you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I didn’t know that you could get up into those inner panels through the smugglers box. That’s good to know. Whomever sprayed the bed liner in mine did a pretty good job of sealing over the cover so I’m not sure if I can even get it off without major surgery. But good information to have.

Thank you.
Just realized you have a third gen. You can access the backside of a fifth gen bed through the interior- not sure about earlier years.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... I found another vendor selling those X-Track plates for $8.00 each so I went ahead and ordered a set. It dawned on me that I've been using 5/16" rivet nuts in quite a few places and I've never had one fail. So FOUR of them to hold each of these plates really shouldn't give me any issues. Hopefully my next response will be a picture of four of these mounted inside my bed.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find myself suddenly needing to use my El Camino as a <gasp> TRUCK! The horror....

I need to make a six hour round trip to pick up a hutch and somehow it makes sense to me to actually use the El Camino pickup bed for something other than storing parts while I do various modifications and improvements. Which means that I will need some sort of anchor points for tie down straps.

I’m hoping to find something that will mount somewhat flat inside the bed side walls. Best would be some sort of two piece gizmo where I could mount small flat receivers then attach rings or whatever to them as necessary. I’ve already got a pile of E-Track anchors but I’m not thinking E-Tracks would look very nice screwed into my nice bed sides.

Tom.
Flat mount, inside bed, spring back into place automatically, up against bed wall

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

Tom.
I have these tie downs in my El Camino bed for years and they work great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts