El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a tilt steering column from a 5th Gen car with OD trans. I'm not sure which year started the OD trans.

I could also use a nice steering wheel.

Jack

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I may be mistaken here but are the columns from 82-87 not all the same with wiper stalk on the column? Wouldn't the shift detents work off the trans and not so much the column?

I know there is a different shift indicator plate for the cluster.

What type of steering wheel are you looking for stock or aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
If you're wanting an original type wheel, the one I got from Showtime was well worth the price. Just be aware the shipping is from WAY north, and IS expensive, but worth the money. I've got the one I took out (not original) with all the garbage to install it, if you're interested.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Now why do you want a " Tilt " steering wheel?

I have one in my 1987 Elko and I've never used it because it has few adjustments compared to my other vehicles. I've adjusted it at several points however, it becomes hard to read the dash cluster ( I'm 5'11" and weigh 185lbs. ). There just isn't enough adjustments ( also might be due to the limited seat adjustments ) to warrant a tilt wheel in a 5th. gen. El Camino, you may find the same situation after changing the set-up? Not really worth the cost and effort, but good luck anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.D.
I just want a good steering wheel. My original is not in very good shape and I don't like it to start with.

Rags
I like tilt columns.

G-Boz
I stated for an OD trans. My bad. I should have said auto OD.

Beep
What wheel do you have Bruce? Can you email a pic?

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, but do you want the shifter on the column or floor? right now I have a black tilt column for a floor shift car (auto OD trans), or I can get a black column with a column shift. (auto OD trans). I also have a black and Maroon SS wheel.
Sorry again. Column shift. How much do you want for them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts