El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a tilt column that was given to me with a previous car purchase but has been sitting ten years with me (who knows how long before that). It is missing a few parts. I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to rebuild it (and where to find parts) or should I stick with my standard column. I don't have the cash to purchase a new or rebuilt unit. They fetch a decent amount of money for those! I'd love to have a tilt column in the car, but I have never rebuilt one. Don't know exactly what's missing, or where to source parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to take a few photos this evening. As mentioned, I'm not sure what year the column is out of, nor what car. It was given to me when I bought my second El Camino, which was a 71, years ago. Is it possible to replace the shroud piece that the shifter attaches to? I have a floor shift manual trans. Would it be worth it to try to repair and modify this column or better to just get a floor shift tilt from the get go?

·
Registered
425 Posts
A good quality stock rebuild or fancy ididit will run over a grand. There are other aftermarket choices at half that
Using yours will save you a good bit but will it match the look of your car? The columns are lots of pieces but not really complicated, and the parts are out there.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Funny, I set my tilt column on the same spot where the standard column would be.. I wonder how much smoothness those tilt column universals take from the steering feel.. If you like where the wheel is with the stock column then I would keep it..

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
check out this thread, pics, parts..
very good for upper column repair..
Link> Loose Tilt Column

check the links in this thread, Theft Repair kit
Link> Salvage Column

youll still need a few more parts
Turn Signal Switch, Cancel Cam, upper collar..
several small parts can be found cheaper at RockAuto, and there website makes
it real easy to compare years.. tho some parts are hidden in different category's..

and places that sell parts and repair columns
Steering Column Services
Repair Search

Parts Search pics videos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts