El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I will make the Super Chevy show or not.

Original estimate timewise on paint was 4 weeks. I gave it to him for 5.

Went to look at it friday and its still not even in primer.

Just got an email from him and his son passed away and he went to Maryland on Saturday.

Wont be back until next Saturday.

Sorry to hear about his son, but what happened in the 5 weeks before he passed away.:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it comes down to it, I will get the car back, bring it just how it is and find another painter.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
five weeks to paint? was it crushed and hes building you a new one?the body shop i took my original choo choo to did me like that.one day a buddy called me and said my car was outside his shop.long story short he took 4500.$ and did more harm to my car than the hit and run driver did with her saburban. i went down to see and he closed his shop and pushed my car outside and was gone. i took the car to mountianview chevys body shop and they said it couldnt be repaired.it needed a new frame and body.he over pulled the frame so bad it couldnt be corrected and he hung the quarters on wrong.the tail gate was 2 inches off on the drivers side.and when you tried to put the rear glass in to keep it clean there was a 2 in gap between the window frame and glass on the pass side lower corner. moral of the story is when someone has your baby in thier shop stay on top of them dont go a week without seeing whats going on with it. i still smell smoke every time i think of it:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I painted my front fenders, hood & fascia the week before2011 march daytona show, working past midnight a few nights after working all day. Hit primer in a few small spots colorsanding & buffing late nights withoutproper lighting. Some ask why I did it that way. Sean,I think you know.:beer:
Missed the Hot Rod power tour meetup in gainsville 6 years ago, cause I let someone sew my seat covers for me instead of doing it myself like every other thing else that i do. Oh excuse me, I meant to say hold them till past the promised completion time to get started.:let_it_all_out:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Sean, sorry to hear you are gettting waltzed around on your paintwork, but don't feel like the "Lone Ranger". Throughout the resto and paint process I heard every excuse in the book from everyone involved except for me. It seems that bodyshop guys and painters always make promises and accept deadlines they know they won't meet. Too often they are doing too many projects to finish any of them on time. very frustrating, for sure. You gotta hope that for all your frustration and patience you will get a great result when finished. I don't think one aspect of my resto was done on time except for the motor swap which I did myself. Good Luck with it!

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
thats nothing new... i feel your pain, the shop that did mine gave me an estimate of about 3 months... had to strip down to bare metal, patch rust, fix floor pans, get all the dings out of the bed, prime and paint.... it ended up taking them all 10 months to finish it. ended up with a great finish! just took them forever because they had too many cars at once and mine was the "side project"

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I feel for you and maybe this will help but maybe not.Check it out anyway
http://www.autobody101.com/content/ .
Under resources look at basics of basics,you'll find several articles,read them all but be sure to read the confessions of a bodyshop owner.
I have known a couple of shops that said it would take a certain amount of time they just neglected to say when they would start,they didn't lie they just didn't give all of the information and thus you end up with an unhappy customer.Some of these places do like doctors they overbook their time hoping to have you commited to them and sometimes it works.
In small shops where the owner is also the worker there work may be better than a production shop but reality sometimes has a way of intervening and this doesn't do much for the customer so you have to choose whether the quality is worth waiting for compared to your other choices.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, Misty Meaner is back in the garage.

Sanded down with primer spots but she's here.

Got some work ahead of me, new carpet, headers and pypes, bumpers and door handles and rear window installed before Friday.

Super Chevy show then back to work for 3 weeks.

He gets the car back for those 3 weeks and promises to have her done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts