El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing is just not right. I was wondering if I brought my timing light and everything else required could someone show me how to set the timing on my Elky.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Yea, bring some white out to, (it's easier to see the mark on a bright day)
I'll bring the dist wrench!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
0 Posts
I may be in line for this too if I don't take it to my buddy next week.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Skip , just curious how do you know that your timing is off ?? did you do any moving of the dist. on your own ?? Well for now on your own , when you turn your dist. counter-clock wise or rotate it towards the radiator your advancing it ... you can do it by ear and keep advancing till it misses OR advance it till the starter drags alittle , then back off alittle until the starter spins the engine easy just for now ... like DDD said use white out or some soap stone or chalk on the groove , just as long as its bright white to show up in the evening ... Hey Skip , after you shoot the timing have you adjusted your air/gas mixture on the carb. ??? I'll bring my timing lite and vacume gauge also if you like ... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Put minorider n woody in line as well
we need a fancy.dial back light???
Cheers

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the offers. We can make it a group effort. Just don't look at my engine bay, its messy and no making fun of my lil 305. lol

I am sure it's off a little. I messed with it a lot 6 months or so ago and got it the best I could or so I think. It has a slight miss to it, so wanted to start with the timing before I did everything else.

Old Geezer - I have not messed with the carb and I do not have a vac gauge. The carb was rebuilt by Mountainman less than a year ago, so shouldn't have any internal problems. I am not sure how to check things with the vac gauge, if you could make sure you bring your gauges that would be great. I am always willing to learn something new.

I am also having a slight overheating issue and think the timing may be my problem because I have done everything else besides boil out the motor to clean the junk out. I have replaced the Rad, all hoses and installed a new fan clutch. I even put the spring in the input hose to keep it from collapsing. I have also install a new water pump and have played with many different thermostats and it seem that 180 works best. I even tried free flowing with no thermostat, but that failed too.

Sorry for making this longer than it needed to be. But you asked. lol

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Hey just line em,up at the park ,and we can work our way down ! i also will be bringing my ,tools for just such tweaking. or you can drive here to Alvin this weekend and get it done ! :beer:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
We may just need to set up an Elky "pit area" under a shade tree:nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't make it this weekend, it's already full. Thanks for the offer though.

·
0 Posts
How many forums out there have a pit area at shows? NONE! We should get someone to make a medium sized sign for the area so we can put it up in pictures. Anyone good at art?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
" or rotate it towards the radiator your advancing it "

Iz dat be rite??? Depends on where you put your hand to rotate. You ARE right with CCW!!!!:twisted:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts