El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the problem. I have a 350 but it has a 305 balancer on it, also it appears to have a 350 timing cover on it with appropriate tag. So how do you time
the engine? This is not mine bit minoriders new motor. We got it close but still...
I know answer is to buy the correct one but $$$$it is tight. Plz help with this of you have ideas.:beer:

·
Registered
351 Posts
timing

Screw a piston stop in #1 cyclinder turn motor clockwise by hand till piston stops mark the balancer then turn counter clochwise till piston stops again, mark balancer, halfway between marks will be top dead center. make final mark get rid of the other 2 marks and should be good 2 go.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Once you find TDC by one method or another, you can buy a timing tape from various sources and put it on the balancer.

I seem to remember that all it takes to adjust for the 305 balancer is a 305 timing tab to be attached to the engine. But remarking the balancer is the easy way.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks for the fast replies. Ill try and locate a poston stop, maybe our builder will let us borrow one. Oh yea post should have read cash is short... cant seem to edit from droid phone thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Screw a piston stop in #1 cyclinder turn motor clockwise by hand till piston stops mark the balancer then turn counter clochwise till piston stops again, mark balancer, halfway between marks will be top dead center. make final mark get rid of the other 2 marks and should be good 2 go.
T'ain't too many people gots piston stops. AND, that requires all sparkin' plugs be removed to turn the engine. A MUCH easier way is to pull #1 plug, plug with tissue, and use a remove starter to TAP the engine to the point that the tissue is blown out. Put something wooden (like unsharpened pencil) into the plug hole and VERY gently tap the remote starter until the pencil reaches it's top. NOW, you are just about as close as using a piston stop, as you are going to move the distributor to do final timing anyway. In this case, close is better than horseshoes. Put the plug back in, and time the engine. Oh, and please note where the timing mark is on the balancer/marker, and mark the balancer accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Thanks for the fast replies. Ill try and locate a poston stop, maybe our builder will let us borrow one. Oh yea post should have read cash is short... cant seem to edit from droid phone thanks.
I took an old spark plug and drilled out the center electrode and ceramic insulator. Then I found a piece of round metal rod that would fit inside the drilled out plug. I cut off about 2" of the rod and "glued" it into the spark plug with JB Weld.

Did that about 45 years ago and it still works great.

Jack
P.S. Be sure to round the edges of the rod so it doesn't scratch the piston.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...I just went down and bought the correct balancer for the right Timing marks on the timing cover..
..in other words,I got a 350 (010casting #) with the 305 timing chain cover and balancer,I time mine between the water pump and timing chain cover..when I went to get it, I took the old one in to match it up,differnt clocking...:beer:

(P.S. this might be a better way,and cheaper..) http://www.proformparts.com/product-exec/product_id/102/nm/8_Black_Harmonic_Balancer_Cover_for_Chevy_small_block_engines/category_id/118

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts