El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been working through issues with the ol' 1982 and it was suggested I look at timing. So, I got a timing light, and found it at 14*. I thought it had been running pretty OK there, but since the sticker under the hood says 6*, I went ahead and adjusted it to 6. Now it runs like crap and I get just about no throttle response, even when I reset the idle adjustment to factory specs. Is it better to leave it at 14? I was getting pretty sooty plugs so that's what made me check timing, so I am guessing 14 isn't good, but at least it ran. 6 is spec but basically non-performing... as a non-mechanical type of guy, I'm lost. If anyone can help me out in plain English, mucho appreciatado! :)

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Does your engine have a cam? Mine does so I have it set at 17*.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How and when did you change it from 14 to 6? If you just turned the distributor, that's probably the issue. Motor has to be at hot idle temp. Also need to disconnect the advance, either vacuum or electrical. I've always set timing with a light in conjunction with a vacuum gage on the brake booster hose. Vacuum should be up around 18-20ish. If it's too low, that'll affect the choke which is tied to the secondaries and yes, the motor will run like crap. I'm lucky, sort of, my 87 is electrical, so just set unadvanced timing to 0 and let the computer do its thing. Vacuum is 20 on the nose.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome G

are you still running the computer ??
disconnect the 4wire connector at the distributor
and set the base/initial timing at 6-8* to start with..

update the old threads,, give us some feed back..

the timing is not making the plugs black..
and after they are black,
usually they don't work right any more.. there fuel fouled..

pics ??

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the timing is that far off, wouldn't incomplete detonation leave the plugs fouled? Especially if the plugs are still gapped too high like at 44 instead of the 35 now recommended?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts