El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added headers, dual exhaust and a new intake manifold to my 84 Caballero and when I removed the distributor I forgot to mark its position. I have tried many times to get the engine at TDC and have positioned the oil pump shaft to be aligned with the 1st cylinder position on the distributor. It still will not start. Any tips on finding TDC and anything that may be keeping this beast from coming back to life?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
with plugs removed, turn engine over by hand until you feel compression coming from #1 cyl. Observe TDC mark on balancer to see where it aligns with timing tab. You'll be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
184 Posts
take out the number one plug. stuff a kleenex partly in to it. Have someone bump the motor bit by bit. When the tissue blows out, you have just passed number one. find the number one plug wire entering the distributor cap and set the dizzy into the block so the rotor is just past it, but dropping in to the slot for the shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
take out the number one plug. stuff a kleenex partly in to it. Have someone bump the motor bit by bit. When the tissue blows out, you have just passed number one. find the number one plug wire entering the distributor cap and set the dizzy into the block so the rotor is just past it, but dropping in to the slot for the shaft.
I want to add to this, and the tissue bit is how I do it. When it blows out, it's on the compression stroke, and not quite to TDC. That's OK, as it's close, just like in horse shoes and hand granades. Put the distro/HEI into it's place with the pointer on the rotor toward #1 cylinder. Just drop it in, and it may or may not hit the slot for the oil pump. That's fine. Now, bump the engine over VERY gently, and the distro/HEI will drop into the slot for the oil pump. Now, tighten up, start the engine, and time dat sukker!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
To get it exactly on TDC, you could remove the passenger side valve cover and bump the engine over until the #6 cylinder valves are "rocking". Then get a wrench and turn it back and forth by hand until the exhaust rocker is just closing and the intake is just opening. That is TDC for #1. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What keeps the kleenex from being sucked into the cylinder on the downstroke?:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"What keeps the kleenex from being sucked into the cylinder on the downstroke?:dontknow: "

Well, no matter where the stroke might be, I've NEVER had it (kleenex) be sucked into the cylinder. AND, all the fiddeling around with trying to find TDC is really a waste of time. You're going to time the engine from where you set the distro/HEI. Sooo, get the timing close and just time dat sukker!!!:poke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts