El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I noticed my engine was running a little rough at idle in the Elco. Well after looking at it I noticed that the vacuum to the dist was not hooked up. Ok so I thought the rough idle must be due to the vacuum leak. Well I plugged the line and it continued to idle rough. I though hmmm. When I hooked it back up to the dist it ran smooth. My question is this. Shouldn't it run fine at an idle and is the vacuum advance not supposed to kick in until around 1000 rpm? If so then what could the issue be with the dist?

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Sounds like the line is supplied by manifold vacuum. Ported vacuum kicks in at higher RPM. Personal preference says leave it as is.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Is it getting vacuum at idle? Did you check the timing before and after connecting up the line? I don't claim to be an expert, but I have never experienced this before(at least my old brain doesn't remember it).

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Is it getting vacuum at idle? ...but I have never experienced this before(at least my old brain doesn't remember it).
It's a new dawn. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did time it with the vacuum line not connected. I may need to do it again. I guess what I am asking is that with the vacuum line not hooked up and the car at idle it should have no effect correct? It should idle just fine without the vacuum line. Of course I would hook it up so it advances while driving.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I did time it with the vacuum line not connected. I may need to do it again. I guess what I am asking is that with the vacuum line not hooked up and the car at idle it should have no effect correct? It should idle just fine without the vacuum line. Of course I would hook it up so it advances while driving.
This article helped me understand this stuff a little better. I elected to go with direct manifold vacuum which is present when idling.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11689

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
the advantage to running manifold vacuum is a better, more stable and cooler idle..
when you connect the vacuum line you should see 10-15* more advance at idle,
the motor will idle faster and smoother, you should see and hear a difference..

on ported or timed vacuum you wont see any better idle,, it would only advance at part throttle/cruise..
to see the better idle you would have to run 20-30* initial timing,
but the starter wont like that much timing, it will kick back trying to start it..

:texas:

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
the advantage to running manifold vacuum is a better, more stable and cooler idle..
when you connect the vacuum line you should see 10-15* more advance at idle,
the motor will idle faster and smoother, you should see and hear a difference..
Last step of setting timing, after you hook da manifold vacuum up to vacuum advance set for proper idle speed, usually about 600-650 rpm.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
x2 after its warmed up..
then set the idle mixture, then adjust the idle speed again, then the idle mixture again..

x3 Then close hood and go have some fun. :driving:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amen Joe! After an entire summer this last year I was able to driver her. I wanted to drive it so bad I did what I swore I would not do. I drove it in the rain!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I know. But after four months of hard work to finally get it in shape to drive, for the first time in had to be over 10 years, i had to get her out there. Oh and I found out I did not get all the tiny little holes in the fire wall and other places sealed. :)
they are now though :nanawrench:

·
Registered
758 Posts
I know I know. But after four months of hard work to finally get it in shape to drive, for the first time in had to be over 10 years, i had to get her out there. Oh and I found out I did not get all the tiny little holes in the fire wall and other places sealed. :)
they are now though :nanawrench:
Water test FTW!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts