El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 El Camino and I trying to get the timing set right now it runs but when I turn it off it just seems to desil right now looking between the water pump and block with a timing light the mark on the balancer is to the left of the tab by the it is pretty much a stock 305 with not many performance mods except plug wires and and prettys under the hood

:? :? :? :? :?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You are too advanced. Retard the timing a little and it should stop. Did you change brands of gas or octane? Its been a while but loosen the distributor hold down and rotate the dist towards the passenger side (using the advance canister as a reference) just a bit and see if that helped. Setting an old engine to factory specs will not give a good performance. It has worn and so playing with the timing is necessary to get the best overall performance level.

To time it unplug the Vacuum hose to the canister and plug it. Loosen the hold down for the distributor. Connect the light to a voltage source and the wire to #1 plug. Start engine and let it warm up to operating temp. Trigger the light looking from the driver side down onto the balancer and timing marker.

You should see the mark on the balancer flash under the light strobe. Your timing is probably around 32 degrees BTC for factory settings. You'll need to play with the timing to achieve the optimum results if your engine is old. If you've installed a different cam then all bets are off. Don't go by factory specs use the ones the cam manufacturer sent and still play with the timing to get optimum results.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
1,867 Posts
My 350 runs best at around 14 degrees btdc, that's at the very end of my pointer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did it run good before?you could have issues with the carb or a worn timing chain.Try what Pete said.and if that don't help there a problem somewhere else you need to address.Shut the car off in Gear! No more dieselin' till you get it sorted out.

-Kid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts