El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im painting my elky soon and i was wondering if someone could give me a quick description on wat to do...i know a little bit but im not 100% sure of wat to do....Like wat first? sanding?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Do yourself a BIG favor and do a couple practice paints first. It'll help you to dail in the settings of your paint gun.
After you've primed it, wet sand with some 1500-2000 grit wetsand paper, make sure it's extreamly smooth. What color are you going with? The darker the color, the more detailed prep work you need to do...dark colors show EVERYTHING

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to be canari yellow with a black stripe.. yes i will probably do samples before i paint the car... so thats it? just sand and paint?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'd make sure that all the body work is completed first. Take off all the trim pieces and chrome parts. If you've done the bodywork then you'll be ready for a sealer primer first. A acid etching sealing primer should be used. If it has been a while since the bodywork then you'll probably want to make sure the surface is free of contaminates. Some 3913, degreaser and surface prep, then sand with 1500 and you'll be ready for the final stages. Wipe off the surface really good then use a tack cloth all over rotating the tack cloth so you don't have the same surface on the body wile you're cleaning it.

Cover your wheels and tires and mask everything you don't want to paint. Your ready to spray. Using a panel spray a panel to make sure your color is what your wanting and adjust the nozzle, pressure etc...

Lay down several light coats first. Let the paint flash, about 15 to 30 Minutes (follow manufacturers recommendations) apply a second coat of color and repeat this until you've achieved a good even cover. Let the final color application flash before you apply the first of the clear. When your ready work the clear in small areas it doesn't lay down like the color so long strokes are not necessarily needed or wanted at this stage. Get a good coverage of clear then let it dry for 24 hrs. (1st coat of clear.) Using a DA or Wet Sand with block use 2000 and applying a light pressure sand. If the dust is white then your into the clear when you start turning yellow dust your into paint. Avoid getting into the paint (Color). It is a good idea to mask off the corners and bends of the body while sanding and do those by hand. Machines can and will, before you know it, remove the surface you just lied down. So avoid the bends and corners.

After the clear is sanded smooth and flat, you're ready for the second coat of clear. Now would be a good time to lay out the stripes and shoot that to color. Clean the surface like you did before painting except you don't have to worry about contaminates, if it hasn't been out of the booth. This time you'll want to lay down the clear a little heavier. Don't worry about runs so much if you can avoid them do so but if they happen don't freak. Let that sit for 24 hours and color sand again just like before to get a flat smooth surface. Work until you've removed most of the lip you created laying down the stripes. Your ready for the final clear. Make this clear as heavy as the last and you'll work this to the finished surface.

Now if you are planning any ghost stripes or flames the time to start doing that is when your ready to lay out the stripes or after the first coat of clear. You mix a clear basemaker with the desired color of pearl powder and apply. You will not necessarily see the design "pop" out at you at this point. Remember when ghosting use a good solid coating of the pearls then let flash and clear.

On the final clear make it heavy, you'll be sanding on it pretty good. Smooth the surface with 2500 or 3000, then a coarse cut polishing compound. Then a lighter cut and then finally you'll go to a very fine cut and an polishing compound.

I suggest that you don't use a wax or a glaze for 1 week, if it is cold already wait 2 weeks. Then polish and wax or wax and glaze. This should give you a very good reflective surface with a deep looking smooth clear gloss that is hard as a rock. You'll notice any little imperfection in the body if you haven't gotten out all the little door dings.

When re-installing the chrome use masking tape on the surface of the paint then set the chrome in place. This will help prevent chipping the surface or scratches.

If you ghosted anything then once you've achieved the final surface you'll see the designs and they will be really neat in the evening lights. Pearls have a way with evening lights but not so much with bright sun light. You can use more clear if you desire. Just sand each successive coat to a smooth surface before applying the next coat. Three coats will usually give up a finish like most people want.

This is just the way I have learned to do painting others may do it differently. This way does work.

Good Luck. :-D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts