El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase a new bench seat cover for my son's '72 Elky. Any tips on installation? This will be a first of both of us. Thanks, Dave

·
1,867 Posts
Never did a bench but have recovered buckets. It's easier with some hog ring pliers. Those little rings can be a pain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tommy,

Thanks, I did purchase an "deluxe" install kit that includes the hog rings and pliers. Need to stip out the interior, putting in new carpet while I have the bench out. Going to treat the floor with POR-15, line it with dynamat for sound and vibration control, lay the wiring for rear sub and speakers and add a third seatbelt. Would rather only do this right and only once! Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tommy,

Thanks, I did purchase an "deluxe" install kit that includes the hog rings and pliers. Need to stip out the interior, putting in new carpet while I have the bench out. Going to treat the floor with POR-15, line it with dynamat for sound and vibration control, lay the wiring for rear sub and speakers and add a third seatbelt. Would rather only do this right and only once! Dave

·
1,867 Posts
When I did my new carpet, I cleaned & sprayed my floor pan with primer-sealer .After that was dry, I sprayed it with a few coats of undercoating. The new carpet allready had thick padding. The combo did make it noticably quieter inside.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
www.atrim.com has some things for re-doing seats and other goodies too. Ever thought about the seat bunz? The Foam portion of the seat, its probably worn out also. A-trim sells a type of burlap that goes over the springs between the foam and the springs. It could give a little better feel to the seat, little firmer. It is also possible that OPGI would have the actual seat foam for sale but if not then possibly give a-trim a try. Just some thoughts.

Sounds like fun I've also done the buckets but not the bench. We completely re-built some bucket seats. They creaked and groaned when you sat in them before. We ended up replacing some of the springs because they had a permanent butt mark on the driver side. That was different. :? But they turned out pretty nice.

If I can do it then it can't be all that hard. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts