El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Im running into a problem with wheel and tire fitment on a 1982 El Camino previously with a v6 and currently swapping it for a Chevy 350. Currently the car has 14" rims with 3.5" backspacing (not sure on width but definitly on the smaller side) and 215 series width tires.
The problem is that when i turn the wheel to pull into like a driveway or parking spot (hence; NOT to full lock, just a tighter turn) the tire severely rubs on the upper control arm. It rubs on the portion that has the folded lip on the side closer to the radiator side of the car. Just to specify, I can complete stop the car from rolling by turning the wheel.

Im not quite sure where to go from here to correct this issue. My front suspension appears all stock, and caster/camber is set correctly. I know at one point before I had the car, it had 20-something inch rims on it so im not sure if for some reason the control arms or spindles are from another car or not, but im open to any suggestions to fix this issue. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Pics would help, Sounds like someone has done something for clearance with those 20's. 14X7's should clear anything stock.

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what im thinking. Im going to be putting some different rims on eventually but if im having rubbing issues with these im not sure anything else is going to fit. Ill try to post a pic of the control arms later. Im thinking that maybe theyve been changed out to something different

·
Registered
170 Posts
I picked up a set of 14x7" rally wheels last summer, put 235's on them. The driver side front rubbed on the control arms also. I ordered a pair of 1/8" spacers which solved the problem.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
:geek: Welcome, Glad you found us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. Normal
back space should be 41/2" of rim.
You could use back spacers but not
a fan of them.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio.. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone that might stumble across this in the future. I ended up figuring out that my upper control arms were put on the wrong sides of the car and needed to be switched. The "gutter" or metal that is U-bent upwards on the control arm should be towards the rear of the car. Mine for watever reason were put on the wrong sides of the car (passenger side on driver side and vice versa). I switched them around and it solved all the problems. I had to remove the tie rod ends from the spindle in order to bolt the spindle back to the upper control arm so ill have to re-align the front but the orginal problem is fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts