El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm getting the body straightened and painted I'm considering having the bed sprayed lined (Rhino-lined). I think this will better protect it from rust and add a little weight to the rear for winter driving. Also have the chrome cargo tie downs near the floor,will they cause any future problems? Anyone have past experiences?

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Sprayed Liner vs. Tub Insert vs. rubber mat is one of those personal choice matters. I've not had any problems with the cargo tie-downs. I've seen a couple of owners remove the tie-downs and use the factory bolt from a 1989 F-O-R-D outside rearview mirror. The bolt looks very clean in the old tie-down holes.
Good luck--

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I'd keep the tie downs in place. I just recently found a set of replacements for my bed. I've learned that the bed rails don't have enough strength to really secure anything in the bed, particularly a SB 350.

I'd be interested in what they quote you for the spray in job since I'm considering the same thing....

Keep us "posted" :lol:

·
Banned
881 Posts
79Conquesta said:
I'm considering having the bed sprayed lined (Rhino-lined). Also have the chrome cargo tie downs near the floor,will they cause any future problems? Anyone have past experiences?
I had considered a spray-in bed liner a few years ago. However, I was concerned about the extra weight and the fact that it is a flamable urethane. Also, it's permanent. What if I didn't like it down the road? (Sort of like getting a tattoo)

I opted for one of the heavy-duty rubber bed-mats, mainly because it's removable. I prefer the look of a smooth, clean bed.

Keep the tie-downs. You'll need to use them some day. I agree with what 87SS said:

the bed rails don't have enough strength to really secure anything
:mrgreen:

S

·
0 Posts
I've always wondered how durable those spray in liners are? Would something like a shovel easily scrape it off? My bed still gets its fair share of use so I usually just keep it coated with rust-oleum since it gets scraped alot. Is the texture hard or spongy? I'm not sure how the beds are in other generations but I always thought it would look cool to have a spray liner that covered the sides all the way up to the roof on either side of the rear window in my 76.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I currently have a bed mat, it came with the car when I purchased it. Although it provides some protection from the bed being scratched when hauling something I don't care for it. When I removed it the first time I found water under it from the last time it had rained, and some light rust in the spots where paint had been scratched. I considered a Rhino spray liner, but what if later I decide I want to remove it, good be quite an expense. I decided to use a full bed liner, will that prevent water from getting underneath, probably not, so I am also going to install the fiberglass tonneau cover. This way at least I'll be able to check the metal under it for corrosion occasionally and do any repairs. One thing though if you use a mat or a full liner when you do remove it have someone give you a hand, if you drag it across your paint it will scuff it. This is the most expensive set up for the bed, but I think its worth it. If you live in a dry climate like the southwest maybe you don't need all this protection. Where I'm at we get a lot of snow and salt is used on the roads. We have another Elky that was given to my son and it had no bed protection, consequently the entire bed needs to be replaced to restore the car

·
Registered
47 Posts
I met a guy that had his bed sprayed and they matched the color of his car. It looked very good. If I'm not mistaken it's the same red El Camino you see in Car Craft ads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bed liners

You are right about spray on liners being permanent, but they are super protective. Now that they match colors you can get one that is barely noticable. No more rust. I've heard guys at work joking about getting the whole car sprayed to protect the body. This is overkill, but protecting the bed against scratches and rust is a top concern in these older cars. I work with one fellow that has done 3 truck beds and he thinks they are indestructable. Plus it just adds to the value of the vehicle. Just do a little homework, and ask to see sample vehicles because all spray in liners aren't created equal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i agree do your homework. i have seen some really nice work then really poor.
i may do it some day. spent last summer clearing out the rust that was under my mat. out of site out of mind until ouch!!! lotsa work. i may have to completely restore. still waiting for that raining money thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
spray in liner

go for if it thats what you want.. but like they said it's kind of permanet i sprayed a 72 chevy pu the same blue as the truck. maaco did it all for me. theirs they spray and actually have to bake and it's about an 1/8 to 1/4 thick. big plus theirs carrys a lifetime warrenty so does rhino liner you chip they fix

·
Registered
46 Posts
The spray in liner is almost Indestructible the army is doing blasting test onbrick walls that have rhino liner on them and have found that since it is an elastic coating it dosen't tear or scratch if done right. They have also coated blocks and done "drop tests" where they drop them from different heights and found that most of the concrete blocks from 35feet and below didn't break. Now if it will hold upto lumber or a shovel or motors or what ever you might put in your bed is a test of time. If it helps my parents had a liner sprayed in their 2001 f-350 dually and is looks as good as the day it was done.

·
Registered
314 Posts
jiffyken said:
The spray in liner is almost Indestructible the army is doing blasting test onbrick walls that have rhino liner on them and have found that since it is an elastic coating it dosen't tear or scratch if done right. They have also coated blocks and done "drop tests" where they drop them from different heights and found that most of the concrete blocks from 35feet and below didn't break. .
you saw that episode of trucks too huh :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts