El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,been working on the 71 chassis mixing with doner 01 camaro LS upgrades.4 wheel Disc with the drum spindles.98 jeep grand cheroke steering box (will adapt to the ls p.s pump with better steering).Anyway im using the camaro oil pan with the 1" offset mounts,do you think i should mount the engine brackets to the crossmember or let them float to clear the ps box.Iv'e been reading about guys notching their crossmembers for the altenator to fit and look better with the stock camaro setup.Anyone know of a good set up to go with without mixing corvette,truck brackets aftermarket ac compressors that looks ok and works well.ps this is a frame off resto so the body wont be in the way with automatic trans.thanks john

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i would mount everthing on the engine and trans ,bolt the brackets to the engine and set it in first and see how close it is first. i mark the frame where the firewall is then jack the engine around to see where it fits with the least modification to the frame and suspension. if its just the alt that is close you may be able to use a smaller frame alt that will bolt up in the original spot

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
On my ls1 swap into my 83' I did 9 years ago, I made my own alum brackets to move the F-body ps pump down & alt up top similar to vette location. I did however cut & rebox the rear of my crossmember & notch the front of crossmember for factory ac location to work. Also notched & reboxed the frame near the idler bracket for ac fittment.
Yeah, different year chassis than yours, but my point is that if a little frame modification will help the engine to sit in a more ideal location & not shell out ridiculous money for aftermarket drive setups, so be it . If done correctly , then 9 years from now, you won,t regret it.:beer:
you can buy or fabricate your way through an ls swap these days. I chose to fabricate. Course I didn't have as much kit choice back then anyways.:laugh:
Ps, the f-body alternators weren't that great.I swapped in an 04' truck alt last year, much better. The fact ac comp weren,t great to use with older style ac systems . After replacing once, I swapped to a sanden using a $ 90 BRP bracket kit since engine was installed. No use fabbing everything, everytime.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
can you post pics of your ls from top and bottom jlcustomz ? i am looking at a 7.0 ltr ls for my 83 malibu

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking on ebay and found a kit that moves the ps and the alt up hi on the drivers side.It looks ok but a little hi might have to put a hole in the hood!but would be easy to add fluid ha ha.speedway motors sells the kit using all camaro pieces.for 167.00 not bad.I will have to see if they have the line kit for the ps hoses or get them made up.I'm probably going to have to make up stops for the steering so it dont hit the camaro oil pan.add another 1/4" plate to the mounts to clear the crossmember with the stock oil pan that will be sitting behind the crossmember( not under it tappin speedbumps)

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Carl, I posted 7 pics of my ls engine install on my photobucket link.Haven't been taking engine bay picsbecause it,s under construction from hood project & needs freshening up. 1st pic shows motor mount.I mounted 83 el camino cage to frame, trimmed f- body mount to fit inside it, & spaced them 3/4" away from engine.
2nd pic shows how f-body pan fits behind cut & boxed crossmember.
3rd pic is front lower view . you can see original alternator mount. Others have fit with lower mount alt, I never tried. Made custom brackets before even fitting engine. Roads flood around here, I prefer alt mounted up.
4th is top view. I have remote ps tank to be able to mount alt lower.
5th is ds view. I have factory hydroboost fromfactory diesel.
6th is view of frame cut & rebox for ac clearance.
7th is rear of ac. Now have sanden , started with factory unit. see small notch in crossmember.
38th is a front view withprevious hood lift mechanism.
Also here,s the you tube video if you never saw it.
Not proud of the way the engine currently looks, but figured I,d show it if it helps anyone. Currently getting ready to start building an aluminum cross ram intake and an engine bay cover. Not much free time these days though.:dontknow:

·
Registered
132 Posts
FWIW you can't mix accessories from Vette, F body and truck - all the depths are different.

I would not cut into the cruck - change the accessories. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check out this site I found on ls1 tech.kst8 engineer-'71 chevelle Ls1/t56 build thread.hopefully it shows up if not just google It.He's using the same mounts that I'm using.Added 1/4 " spacers to his mounts that took care of the camaro oil pan clearance problem shifted the motor to the right to clear the steering box from the ps pump.marked out the crossmember where the ac compressor hit and notched it out.I have the tools and can do that but,I dont like the Idea of heating up the crossmsmber and messing up my front end alignment bringing the rails in closer than they are now!.(have the upper contorl Arm offset shafts allready!).Kwik performance has a Ac bracket kit that will bring the compressor up on the pass side (below the intake) that I found on Ebay under Ls1 ac bracket for 200.00 or something but you have to swap in a Haden compressor,that I'm going to have two go with for aftermarket Ac anyway down the road,no factory Air.But if you read the ad you have to have the ps, Alt bracket first that moves everything up. Separate the tank from the ps pump and mount a tank they have on the fenderwell with a press in 90 hose barb into the Ps pump,all Camaro pullys that I have will work with the kit for another400.00 bucks.I wont have to worry about clearance on the bottom.Will have to extend the ps hoses.There has to be a easyer way!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where was I?

Been busy with life,been in the gararge a couple times.Made up my own Engine Mounts from 1\4 " stock.Using all the stock 2001 camaro acc- the alt and ac comp fits stock location.The stock 2001 oil pan was a little to tight on the crossmember so I ordered a modified pan from s+p (hot rod lane) send them my old one and get the core charge back should be around 250.00 all said an done.The steering linkage fits she sits just above them.I flipped the trans crossmember tranny mount and used the camaro mount. the camaro headers are looking good not hitting nothing! may have to cut the drivers side collector and grind it on a slight angle maybe.Sold the camaro roller for 1000.00 with the harness o'well I'll buy a custom harness with 5 extra ft for the computor and get that thing programed or use it for a core with the new harness setup (just plug and play).dont lnow how the body is gona fit but I dont give a sht.whizzzzzzzz wheel please.driveshaft angle,fuel system,dash dontcha just love it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The oil pan showed up about a week ago,only took them goodolboys about a month to get it back! Everything went ok with the swap except it was missing a bolt for the oil pan so I sent mine back less 1 bolt.They sent a sheet with the pan saying that it better be a camaro pan I send back or I wont get my 275.00 core refund.I put the engine and tranny back together ripped my finger open trying to tighten up the converter and hold the crank by myself waaaaaaaa.Anyway,I went to screw my oil filter on and the fker didint fit!.So I gave the boys a call and they told me it was the new style pan:secret: and to get one for an 02 camaro_Ok still not working the thred was still to small.Called them back and they said I have to use the AC35 35 or somesht filter so back to the parts store again and they crossed referenced it to a 6.0 suberban truck pan!.Fit like a Glove!.I think the boys new style pan was a chopped up truck pan (the other conversion deep sump speedbump killer oil pan Jeggs sells for 150.00 bucks) Iwonder if their selling mine on Ebay?.save yourself alot of trouble and B.S get the Holly modified pan Jeggs has for 400.00 and sell your pan on Ebay.Still waiting for them to credit my card for the core!.Pans in wlth plenty of room for the crossmember.Anyone have any luck using an aftermarket A.C kit with the factory compressor in the stock location?(vintage air )

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
A local ac shop did all my connecting for me. after original AND a newer take off stock compressor from S&P both went out, I swapped to a sanden clone from southern rods& mounted with a brp kit.Also converted to vintage air, which freed up alot of underhood room.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is it still in the same location?with the stock belt I'm trying not to have to change anything.Why did you have to go with the saden setup did the factory compressor have a problem with the vintage air.Vintage Air told me the factory comp works with the cars computor system and it needs a fancy valve or somesht I just wanted to know if he's trying to sell me a package kit.and I'm getting the Computor a frontal labombotomie anyway.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The sanden with the mount kit from brp hot rods fits in the same spot, more frame clearance if anything. The stock ls compressors were run with stock system, they are variable output, sanden is continuous.
Sanden compressors are generally much more reliable& affordable, I think under $200 from southern rods for mine. BRP mount kit was less than $100, would have built mount myself if engine was still out.
Something different needs to be set up for variable compressors to work, if I had it to do over , I'd threw away the stock compressor in 2002' when I got the engine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks j,sounds good I'll have to look into it.I was planning on replacing with a new stock unit. I will get the sanden comp when I'm ready for the ac project.Does it work with all the other acc and pullys that are stock?.Just want to make sure the ac will work out down there before I weld the mounts up good.I no it's not the time to ask about the engine trans angle when it's just sitting on the rolling frame with no body on it (weight) but I have about a 6 degree downward pitch on top of the trans it should be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Fora 508 sanden like mine, you cut off the mounting ears on the block side.As you see in pic, sanden clutch pulley has 8 belt ribs, so you can shove forward & get more crossmember clearance if you make your own brackets.. And yes, it works stock location off the separate rear belt, as the factory intended.I think some items should be separated like that.
Variable displacement was the term I was trying to think of for the ls1 compressor, they internally adjust to reduce output. Fixed displacement system shuts compressor off & on to adjust.
As far as transmission pitch, can't remember. Heck, I can't even remember where I put my angle gauge when I wanted it the other day.:dontknow:

Side note here, but I,m in the middle of making brackets to mount a york ac compressor up top for compressed air. Will post pics of it later when I'm done. If you hadn't noticed before ,I made my own other brackets. This was a 99' F-body setup.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have some pics in my profile that show how the builds going.and yes i had the frame galvanized put in a tank and dipped so it's protected inside also.still figuring how to post pics what a pain!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts