El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a roll cage that is currently sitting in my garage. Unfortunately, my new garage sucks, and this stuff is starting to rust. Can I sand it down, paint it, and clear coat it, and be good? Or do I need to sand, primer, paint, then clear coat? I just want the stuff to not rust, not too worried about giving it some glossy sheen or any crap like that.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Depends on what materials that you have access to, either way all rust must be removed, cleaned, wiped down with prep sol or something equivalent. Epoxy prime would be best then top coat and clear if you like but there are other options. On my raw tank I degreased, red scotch brite, degreased again. Then used a Sikkens acid wipe (it's basically a wipe that has their wash primer on it, smells just like it anyway). Let it flash then rattle can the color I wanted, direct to metal. It's on there pretty darn good.

If your cage might get a lot of abuse, you might want to find someone to powdercoat it. If you're gonna go the route of quality materials I'd bet powdercoating would be cheaper.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
If you want a simple rattle can paint to paint raw steel in 1 step after scuffing & cleaning, try rust oleum hammerite. Their black color is a really dark charcoal. Have used it for many outdoor items. Have it on a few of my underhood items.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am a fan of cleaning the item, using a self-etching primer, zinc-chromate if you can find it. If it is just sitting around not being used, that is enough to keep it rust free for the ages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts