El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've considering rebuilding my 305 in my 1980 SS. The car has been sitting under a carport for over 12 years now and the engine will prob. need either rebuilt or replaced. Which is the better option? I know it's going to come down to a money issue, but I'd really like more horsepower...hell, who wouldn't? Here's the catch...the 305 has only 82,000 origional miles on it. I haven't even tried to start it yet, and I'll have to break it down to see what has gunked up and what is salvagable. Would it be easier to just get a "turn-key" crate engine?

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
gr8ridejester said:
Would it be easier to just get a "turn-key" crate engine?
Well heck yeah it sure would be, but with only 82K on the clock I'd be changing the belts, hoses, plugs and fluids to see what you've got first. You might be surprized. I've got over 152K on mine and she's still going strong. :cool:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I also would recommend replacing /inspecting belts, hoses, plugs and wires, and replacing the fluids first and see how it runs, before you make a decision to rebuild or replace the motor. Just because the car wasn't moved for 12 years doesn't mean it wasn't ocassionally started once in awhile by the previous owner. 82K isn't a whole lot of miles but the car was obviously used at least enough to rack up that much.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
87SS said:
gr8ridejester said:
Would it be easier to just get a "turn-key" crate engine?
Well heck yeah it sure would be, but with only 82K on the clock I'd be changing the belts, hoses, plugs and fluids to see what you've got first. You might be surprized. I've got over 152K on mine and she's still going strong. :cool:
305 nearing the 100k mark, I'd change the cam, lifters, and timing set too! After that, with a good maintainance schedule, it'll run strong for quite a while!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The 5.0 L (305) I have in my 93 Pickup has over 180K. I got it brand new with 35 Mi. on the odometer. I keep good maintenance on it and have replaced a Water nipple, Altenators, and Radiator. Other than regular Belts, hoses and oil change I have had no notable issues with this engine, other than its overall lack of serious Horse Power.

The 305 in my opinion, is a work horse engine. It is not a stellar performer but can be respectable if you really feel the need to go there and it, much like the 283 will go and go and go.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone! I believe I will try to get the engine running. I guess it will cost a good bit less to just replace parts as needed to get the 305 running again. The bad thing is that it hasn't been even started since 1995. :nervous: I'll be going to take a look at it this weekend. Cross your fingers and say a prayer for me. :? I'm preping for surgery...Elky style. 8O Thanks again for the good advice!

·
Registered
492 Posts
if you do find out that the engine isnt worth the work or just want a new one, the brand new goodwrench 350s are getting quite cheap(i think they are about to be discontinued :-( ) i think the cost is like 1200, but the big dealerships that buy alot get a discount so if you happen to know any one in a parts department they could maybe get on for under $1000 at wholesale. this is what i will do as soon as i get $1000 b/c i happen to work in a parts department. the 350 and 305 just switch right out too, so that is what i would do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts