El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to an engine builder today and he quoted me some prices. To be honest I don't really know what to look for or ask about. I told him I wanted a 400+ hp and 400+ ft. lb. motor to play around in. I also stated I would run my TH350 (built) and switch out my rear for a posi with mid 3 gears.

Anyways he said he could do a stroker from intake to oil pan with flexplate for $2300. But then he said he would sell me a 477 complete for $2600. I'm torn, and that price sounds kinda low for a mildly built big block. Here is a link to his CL post http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2693562600.html.

What should I look for/ask about? And is the $300 difference worth the BBC upgrade or is sticking with the stroker a better route? Pardon my ignorance but I know I can trust the guys on here. :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Well the BBC will require a new headers and an upgraded cooling system. I think with your goals a 383 small block would fill the bill nicely.

·
0 Posts
I talked to an engine builder today and he quoted me some prices. To be honest I don't really know what to look for or ask about. I told him I wanted a 400+ hp and 400+ ft. lb. motor to play around in. I also stated I would run my TH350 (built) and switch out my rear for a posi with mid 3 gears.

Anyways he said he could do a stroker from intake to oil pan with flexplate for $2300. But then he said he would sell me a 477 complete for $2600. I'm torn, and that price sounds kinda low for a mildly built big block. Here is a link to his CL post http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2693562600.html.

What should I look for/ask about? And is the $300 difference worth the BBC upgrade or is sticking with the stroker a better route? Pardon my ignorance but I know I can trust the guys on here. :You_Rock:

Depends on what you're trying to stroke. A built 383 is lighter than a bored 454. You'd get more power/mpg's with a small block. Big block parts are harder to come by and are a bit more expensive. Personally,if you want some thing to play in,a 383 is what I'd get with since you can beat em to death and save money on parts...Juss sayin.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a suspicion the stroker would be the route to go. I would stroke my current 350 block. I have to redo the entire exhaust anyways, so that isn't a factor. The BB is a 4 bolt main, not 100% sure on the stroker.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I built a 383 for my 82, I love it. the little mouse has surprised the heck out of more than a few bb's too. fuel is more gpm than mpg, I don't care. It's a lot of fun.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
John , If you do not mind me asking , what kind of gas mileage do you get if you are driving reasonably without stomping on it ?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...Dude,I don't want to sound like a "Know-it-all",but your answer was staring you right in your face...

..Thats a NICE little small block,And I bet it gets about what your looking for. Besides,do you really want to spend the money for BB parts,when you already got what you need..???:dontknow::dontknow::poke::beer:
..(pick your bullet..
..your$$$..)

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
cruising around easy i get maybe 9 dont really know as The fun of the go pedal aint wore off yet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
the way mine is set up......7k motor with a thm 350/4k stall converter and 3.73's, its gonna be horrible no matter what for fuel. was not assembled with economy in mind at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts