El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking bout tinting the windows on my gbody wagon, how much should i pay for a quality job?? is it worth it ??the a/c/ works so im hoping the tint will help keep it kool??
any ideas??? thanks :texas:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got quoted 180 just for the back window .. the heathen :twisted: said it was because the curve on it... I'm still putting pins in this guys voodoo doll.. soooo my windows to this day have no tint.. :neutral:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,953 Posts
Tint it yourself !! Will make a big difference with that Texas sun & heat !!

·
0 Posts
Tint the Elco. The wagon has AC. The Elco needs some kind of protection from the heat since it has no AC.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tint

Tint the Elco. The wagon has AC. The Elco needs some kind of protection from the heat since it has no AC.
you ever tried riding around in a glass bowl @110degreees and it aint got hot yet so im leaning on tinting the wagon with all that greenhouse area its bound to help but was quoted 225 bucks :dontknow:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Those pre-cut sets that Keyser posted the link to look like the way to go. He said they worked fine for him.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
just changed that link to the set that I have. Good stuff!!!

:nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,953 Posts
You can do it yourself & spend that money on that wore out truck motor !!
It's very easy to do !! Just keep it wet while you get it done !! Isn't the back window flat ?? It's hard when you have a curve in it !! I did my side & 1/4 windows. I removed the trim & door panels & it was alot easier !! :beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can do it yourself & spend that money on that wore out truck motor !!
It's very easy to do !! Just keep it wet while you get it done !! Isn't the back window flat ?? It's hard when you have a curve in it !! I did my side & 1/4 windows. I removed the trim & door panels & it was alot easier !! :beer:
Tnanks ill look at the kits even though keyser posted it

:poke:
and as for that wore out truck motor ... have you seen any videos of belton2 shootout? Man that thing was popping and banging all the way down the track.. barely turned 4200 rpms... :secret:

·
0 Posts
you ever tried riding around in a glass bowl @110degreees and it aint got hot yet so im leaning on tinting the wagon with all that greenhouse area its bound to help but was quoted 225 bucks :dontknow:
I rode fish bowl back in 2010 when I removed my old tint. Ever been stuck in Dallas traffic at 3 pm on the way to work in over 100 degrees? It ain't no fun!:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tint

I paid $100 cash to tint my 81 El Camino, with lifetime guarantee. Quote was $85.00 plus $10.00 for the windshield strip. The tip added for a cash deal was less than adding the sales tax. Other quotes were $130 for all.
Yes, it's cooler, and yes it takes talent to do the rear window on a 5th generation in
one piece. If your guy can't do it in one piece, get another tint guy.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did some more calling around and found a place called
WOODY,S TRUCK ACCS, TYLER TX got my windows tinted in elcamino for 102.85 :beer:
much better looking and cooler thanks:beer:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
gbody wagon... thats a lot of glass. I paid $180 for my single cab ranger. Got the windshield tinted 45 or 50% and 5% on the sides and rear. Illegal but in Florida we don't have inspections and its hot 363 days a year.

I paid a decent amount because I bought the quality 3M stuff with a life warranty. The cheap stuff turns purple after a year or two.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My vette to peel old and apply the new was 140. Made a good difference.

I plan to get 5 on the sides and back of the elky with 40 on the windshield (yes illegal).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My vette to peel old and apply the new was 140. Made a good difference.

I plan to get 5 on the sides and back of the elky with 40 on the windshield (yes illegal).
Yupp... then I moved to DE where they have inspections. Had to peel the tints off my front windows on my SUV to pass.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Woody- I have what Keyser posted. it looks good and it doesnt break the bank. i didnt do it, make sure that you dont mess up.... who ever put it on mine either messed up or water got under it and the corner on the drivers side window started to curl and didnt look right so i removed that one and had to remove the pass. side too cause it wouldnt look right with one tinted window...

Here i have the back tinted and the 1/4 windows tinted with blue

Guys it looks pretty easy i guess, and looks good

Guys what i think happens is i think condensation gets to it...so for outside cars like mine can be bad but the back is doin awesome.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I also had the $100 tint put on mine. It lasted 4 years. I bought my wife a 4runner and had the real good tint put on it. It cost $400 for the high metal content but man what a difference. I removed the cheaper tint from the ekly and had the gooder tint installed. It keeps the elky 15-20* cooler on the hot days. I always put my sunshade up too. That's a must. Don't skimp on the tint since it helps preserve the interior as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts