El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I recently bought a new steel cowl hood for my 87.. logistically, I can't get it painted for a few months. It was coated from the factory with a black coating, I think its called a DP coating. It has already faded a bit. I'm wondering if I can lay a coat of wax on that coating to help protect from bird droppings and such. I really have no experience in body work so any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
532 Posts
waxing would probably be a good idea, on my wifes s10 blazer we replaced the front clip and didn't paint it for about six months that black stuff got really thin and rusted in a couple of spots. had to deal with the rust before we could paint. and you will probably be using a wax remover during paint prep anyways........

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You might get away with waxing it but be prepared to wax it every week because once the rust starts wax doesn't help,you're better off scuffing it and having someone shoot a 2 part epoxy primer on it.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might get away with waxing it but be prepared to wax it every week because once the rust starts wax doesn't help,you're better off scuffing it and having someone shoot a 2 part epoxy primer on it.
The reason I don't do that is because I don't have any down time. My other cars are being used by family members and I'm starting a new job Monday that will have me commuting 120 miles per day. In 2-3 months I will get one of my cars back and then I will have the hood painted. So, I guess I'm gonna wax it and deal with it later. Thanks

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Hey Mike...I know if I had a new cowl hood to put on I would jump at it too. Just wondering if it would be a option to put the old one back on until you're ready to deal with paint?

What was I thinking? Wax it and enjoy it! as mentioned you can deal with the wax in prep.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Ahso..
Mr. Miyagi say dull hood make for dull driver..so Wax On! It will be removed during prep. Too bad you can't train those Lone Star S*+#birds to only target Kias and Hundais and Hummers

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahso..
Mr. Miyagi say dull hood make for dull driver..so Wax On! It will be removed during prep. Too bad you can't train those Lone Star S*+#birds to only target Kias and Hundais and Hummers
You're right James, those birds sing for some people. But for me? Not so much. I always try and park under cover but I still get crap bomber. @kevin, after I installed this new hood, I leaned the old one against the barn. 2 days later we had a storm and the bood became a frisbee. It flew prolly 20' and struck a tree. So now its becoming brackets to attach my Grand Am center console. Then it off to the trash. Waxing to new hood to commence in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I stored mine in the garage until it was time to paint. Unless it's already assembled on the Camino, then you may want to coat it to prevent any rusting

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
That's an EDP coating and if it's CAPA approved it can withstand a 250 hour salt spray test w/o a topcoat. Wax is not a good idea. Wax will cause adhesion problems later on unless it's s tripped to bare metal. But there really is no reason to strip EDP. Scuff sand with a red scotch brite pad until there are no shiny areas left. Then shoot 2 medium wet coats of of 2K sealer. This whole process shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,586 Posts
Meguiar's makes a few products in their pro lines that are paintable. The one that would probably work best for you is M80 Speed Glaze: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4751
Unfortunately, body-shop safe products offer a lesser amount of protection. I use this stuff extensively on the original lacquer of my Camino and it's a superb product to moisturize and shine the paint, but usually top it with another product for durability.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Try Polymyer Sealant (however it's spelled). One good application is last and last.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts