El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in the N.C. area installed a Craftec cover for their bed ? I am very int. in one but would love to look at one in person . My bed has no holes and is factory straight so I want to be sure of the product before installing. Thanks, WP

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I know this probably doesn't help since I'm in NY, but they do fit nice. You do have to drill 4 holes. Two holes under the rear window for 'hinge". Then a hole on each inner bed panel back near the tailgate for the support rods.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bobby78, Thanks for the reply . I hope maybe someone here in NC will have one I can put my eyeballs on. WP

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
I had to drill 8 holes, 2 for the support rods on each side, 2 for the piece that the latch catches on to hold it down on each side and the 2 that Bobby mentioned behind the cab for the hinge. They keep changing the design, I think the early ones used bungee cords to hold it down. Check the Craftec site for the installation instructions.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Gary
You're right I forgot about the little brackets for the bungees. So yeah, 8 holes. You know if I had a perfect bed, I don't think I'd want to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YEP !! Thats just my reason for in-decision ! My bed is as it rolled out of the factory so its really tough for me to put a hole in it . WP

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
WOW,I don't know how but I got the bed pic in place !! As you'll see there is not a scratch or dent in it,so I'm very reluctant to start drill it. WP

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wayne, I have a stretch vinyl tonneau cover that I rarely use. Aside from the gazillion holes for the snaps, there is always maintenance with the base holding rivets and small rust starts under a few of them. Though I've never seen Craftec tops, I'm sure they are nice, but is it worth it? My take is, my holes are already there, don't drill into a clean car if you don't have to. - George, S.C. :smileyb:

·
Registered
358 Posts
My gosh Wayne, I see the pic.,, that's SUPER clean. Personally I think you're asking for rust problems, let it be. - George

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree and thats what I will probably do ! I had a new cover w/snaps installed on my new 84 el that I bought in 83 and it wasn't long before the snaps on the body had to have rust attention. I appreciate everyone helping to make up my mind. WP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts