El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 67 roller, I have a fresh 454 laying around but this car had a standard transmission. I could easily convert to 400AT but it has a 410 rear end and would rather have the highway option. I've been looking at the tremec 5 speeds but they are out of my budget. I saw some used ones online but have limited know large of what is compatible. I have the old bellhoising from the 4 speed.
What 5 speed trannys will bolt up?
I found one cheap that came out of a mustang. I know it's a ford and would probably regret using it.
Perhaps a camaro trans??

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Fords have differences that make them out of the question for pretty much anybody but a rebuilder. Plus if it's a t-5 , not with your big block.

About the only near affordable stick shifts with od good enough would be the t-56. F-body's had them in 93 to 97for the LT1, which would be the most affordable choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a t-56

I bought a T56 off Craigslist the other day, he gave me all the set up except the driveline yolk the clutch and the shifter handle. I don't plan to put in the slave cylinder for the hydraulics because the manual system is there and I'm told you can feel the power engage better. Now I have the electronic to manual speedo to contemplate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts