El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so when I 1st got my car it had some pontiac 2gv carb I think on it, it was having problems flooding so I rebuilt it, it continued to flood even after adjusting the float like twice. I have a quadrajet on it now and fixed it up even JB welded the plugs just in case, the engine was running fine for a while even burnt tire and all but recently it started running too rich so I checked the carb and it was leaking a bit of fuel under the choke. I let it sit for a day then took the air horn off to see if my float or seat wasn't working but everything seemed fine except for the fuel just about everywhere even on the secondary plates and also inside the intake it was wet from fuel when I peeked in there. So I'm wondering if I really suck that bad with carbs or what's going on? Everything is stock on the car.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Check the fuel pressure. I had to replace a fuel pump and the only one quickly available was one with a fuel return setup. I just plugged it and went on my merry way. Boy did that not work out. Major flooding after shut down. Ran a return and let the new fuel pump relieve and no more problem on the Q-jet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the fuel pump right when I bought the car with a stock 2 line mount on block kind. I wouldn't want to have to put a 3 line fuel pump because I just recently bought a new 2 line fuel sending unit and installed it. But if that would be the only way to fix the problem how would I go about running a return line all the way back to the tank? Would I need steel line like its mounted and all on the original feeding line? Thanks for replying :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not all quads have the same float setting and the needle and seat that comes with most kits suck. Make sure you are setting the float by the carb # not the year of the el. You can get a good needle on line or at some auto parts stores, again make sure its for the # carb not a year.

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The late Q-jets can run more pressure than the old ones. The pivot point on the float was moved to provide more leverage against the float valve, and 6.5 PSI is the limit on later carbs. My project Elco Q-jet runs 7 PSI without leaking, even though it's a bit over spec.
Sometimes a regulator is the best answer to keep the pressure in spec.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried 2 different types of floats and needles+seats each from different places and I set the float on the instructions the 1st time and thought that might have been the problem but then lowered the float level even more to see if it really was the problem but it remained the same by flooding I guess you would call it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do you guys suggest I should 1st buy a regulator before investing in adapting a return line and all that stuff?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hola again! :p So after running my car for a few months with a pressure regulator and liquid filled gauge to "solve" my previous problem I think I ran into it again :\ I was driving home in the afternoon and after going up a big hill my car started sounding a bit over-revved and when I was in my driveway I noticed through my mirrors I was carrying a huuuuuuge cloud of smoke behind me, smelled rich, I couldn't see the color though cuz it was dark out, and I tried to break and it was so over-revved when I would break it was still pulling forward and almost made me hit the fence! :D Kinda freaked me out haha so I managed to park it, my water temp read a tiny bit over 200 F which has never happened before, and my fuel gauge was dropping from like 8 PSI! I THOUGHT ME SETTING THE REGULATOR SHOULD'VE TOOKEN CARE OF THIS RIGHT??? The psi was probly even higher if when I checked it it was going down to 8 then to 7 then it sopped at 6.5 I think. PLEASE ANY HELP APPRECIATED :) Also would anyone know what a small little brass looking rectangle go in a carter AFB? I was trying to rebuild it and it fell outa nowhere and I can't find where it is supposed to go to.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Quadrajets ,I was told by Mountain Man Carb, is suppose to be 4 lbs max..You may want to call Mountain Man Carbs and talk to them,that are FANTASTIC and KNOW what they are doing. They are fast also. I assume you are still running a computer ? WP M Man's # is 479-639-2022

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
:) Also would anyone know what a small little brass looking rectangle go in a carter AFB?

How long is it? Does it have a point on the end?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running a regulator on it that should be holding it around 3 or 4 psi but only occasionaly does it show 3 or 4 psi, which is weird, it has no computer, no pressure out of the filler neck when opened, it has some line that goes to a carbon canister though and it works pretty good at keeping the fumes low, the little rectangle is about 1/4 inch long, flat ends, and about 1/8 thick solid. I don't think I can post pics through my phone though or at least I haven't found a way how 2 hehe

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I've been reading a bit more and came to the conclusion that installing a regulator should solve the psi problem if the new old stock fuel pump is pushing a litle too much fuel, I'm starting to think I bought a bad regulator, its from summit racing and has "Holley" stamped on the side. The instrctions say to turn the screw thing up on to out to lower the pressure, in to raise the pressure and the little screw thing is pretty far out, and its not keeping my fuel low according to my fuel gauge, unless I'm doing something wrong here??

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I'm using a Holley,may not be your item number, and its doing a great job. Did you ever get in touch with Mountain Man Carbs and ask them what they thought ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called but phone rang and went to voicemail, is there a certain time they are available? I called around 4 pm, I just ordered a carter mechanical fuel pump that is rated at 5.5 max so I'm hoping that will eliminate my high psi problem and if there's a problem with the carb it will be easier to find

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
If you call them and leave a name/number they will call you back. The pump you just ordered is too much pressure for the Quad carb,according to what MtnManCarbs has said ,and I trust their word above all. Changing parts out before you know what is going on can be costly. CALL Mtn Man and they can give you some good advice. I ,and others on here have used and are using their carbs and are tickled pink !! They are one of the best rebuilders of Quads,and in my book ,the best. You can send them your carb and let them rebuild it and you'll know its correct. I have a rebuilder here in my area that told me that that the Quads were peculiar to rebuild. WP

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok cool will do, and I have a regulator that hopefully will work better with less psi being ran up to it than right now so that's why I thot getting a lower psi rated pump would make it easier to trouble shoot you know :)

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
When I ordered my Holley reg. there was at least two different pressure versions. I ordered the one that you could adjust down to at least a minimum of 3-4lbs.. I run a electric pump against the regulator as the later96 block doesn't have a normal pushrod type pump ,only electric. I assume you're using a good pressure gauge in the line from the reg to the carb ? Is your carb setup for a computer ,with ports for wiring plugs ?

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Can you tell us the part number on that carb ?? From '77 up the first three numbers are 170, while older numbers, like '76 & older usually start with like 704 etc
Knowing the part number may help with the year, and what changes were made in the float type an needle & seat type.
The number, as you likely know, is stamped vertically on one corner of the main casting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts