El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the governor set at from the factory on el caminos? I'm just trying to learn some general info on them, so I will half way know what I'm talking about, any other general info would be appreciated, thanx.

·
Registered
105 Posts
FAA tail number NA229865

Yep. To my understanding, all the ECs date from the glory days before the combination of regulation and liability exposure had the automakers start limiting top speeds using the engine management computer (most ECs predate ECMs completely).

Chvypwr is right though, much above 100 they tend to get unstable. The highest I've had my '73 was just under 130 (I was being paced by a friend in a 'Vette so I could find out how far past the speedo's 120 I would get), but at that speed it got verrrrry floaty. Once I got her safely back down I never pushed it that far again. But at the time I was 18 and immortal, so I had to know.

From a safety angle, I wouldn't take one in stock configuration above 100 - 110 or so unless I had lots of nice wide empty road at hand, and maybe not even then. Remember that if you spin at that speed, you will very probably roll. Kind of hard on the paint (etc.).

·
Registered
61 Posts
My '78 350 (268 CC cam) automatic with 2.41 gears stalls out at 3800 RPM, 115MPH. I say stall because thats all I can push on a lonely three mile stretch road. I think if it had a slightly lower (2.73-3.08)gearing it would top out quicker and at higher speed. It does a great job of going 0 to 80 in first @5800RPM! You can more or less call it a powerglide with overdrive, LOL.
My Elky didn't feel unstable at that speed but I am cautious about dogs and livestock wandering on the road.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ive got the stock 305 with turbo350 and 3.08 gear... i have buried my 85 speedo a number of times (im still immortal :) ) on a 20 mile open road... i plan on getting the 120mph speedo out of a MCSS just to see how fast i can top it out at... i dont expect to bury the 120 but until i get a hold of that im clueless as to how fast im goin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your top speed can be determined mathmaticaly if you have a tachometer.
1. In your highest gear, hold speed at the last readable number on your speedometer, get the tach reading.

2. On a long strech of back road, :twisted: GIVE IT HELL!

3. When the world around the elky starts to blur, or if your watch starts to run backward, read the highest tach value you hit.

4. Put a notebook against the steering wheel, so that you can occasionaly glance up at the road, and perform this calculation using long divison:

(first speed) / (first tach) X (second tach)

5. Stop the car........oh, wait, did I get that out of order? Nah!

The top speed of my elky will always be an unknown because I have no tach, and with the street rod engine, I could exceed the arodynamics, lift the rear-end........and the cops would be scooping me into 1 quart ziplock bags. But, from the rate of accelleration before and after I peged the 120mph speedo, I was probably doing around 140 when my desire to live another day took over my acceleration lust.

Take a trip to Germany...the autobahn is not to be trifled with. The rental car had sluggish acceleration because the gears were streched out so much--I couldn't get it into fifth gear under 100mph! By using this calculation. I determined by tach we were doing 160--then somebody passed us like we were parked! I didn't even get the color............

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your top speed can be determined mathmaticaly if you have a tachometer.
1. In your highest gear, hold speed at the last readable number on your speedometer, get the tach reading.

2. On a long strech of back road, :twisted: GIVE IT HELL!

3. When the world around the elky starts to blur, or if your watch starts to run backward, read the highest tach value you hit.

4. Put a notebook against the steering wheel, so that you can occasionaly glance up at the road, and perform this calculation using long divison:

(first speed) / (first tach) X (second tach)

5. Stop the car........oh, wait, did I get that out of order? Nah!

The top speed of my elky will always be an unknown because I have no tach, and with the street rod engine, I could exceed the arodynamics, lift the rear-end........and the cops would be scooping me into 1 quart ziplock bags. But, from the rate of accelleration before and after I peged the 120mph speedo, I was probably doing around 140 when my desire to live another day took over my acceleration lust.

Take a trip to Germany...the autobahn is not to be trifled with. The rental car had sluggish acceleration because the gears were streched out so much--I couldn't get it into fifth gear under 100mph! By using this calculation. I determined by tach we were doing 160--then somebody passed us like we were parked! I didn't even get the color............

·
Registered
12 Posts
top speed/ handling

Hello everyone, i just joined this members thing. and goin around to see whats up, i see that a couple people say their cars are unstable at 100, well. ive done a few minor minor things to my car and it handle great at 130. i boxed the rear control arms. and dropped the front 2 inches. ive got 275/60/15's in the back and 205/60/15 in front. i dunno if this all makes a difference or anyone cares, but thats my 2 cents at 130mph. :twisted:

·
Registered
105 Posts
my rides bone stock, and it handled somewhat floaty at 130, friends were clocking me since the 85 mph limit was buried. I laugh when people ask if my car only goes up to 85 :) silly people thinking a cars power is limited by its speedometer. Wonder what they'd say if i had it replaced with somethin that only went to 60!!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The top speed is determined by the Gear Ratio in the rear end, the final drive ratio in the transmission, the tire Diameter and the RPM. It really doesn't matter how heavy or unstable the vehicle is just how big are your go-nads! :evil:

According to calculation my 76 with a final drive ratio in the transmission of 1:1 and the Gear ratio in the rear end of 2,73:1 and 13.1" diameter tires @ 60 MPH I am doing 2100 RPM. I can go to 180 by the time I reach 6500 RPM. I have had it to just over 140 MPH. I slowed down because my exit was approaching really fast. :D

The 350 THD and the 400 THD unmolested have a final drive ratio of 1:1 the 700R4 (Stock) has a final drive ratio of .70:1 and so does the 4L80e.

Just thought that I'd throw that in for kicks and grins.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've heard that a bed cover will help the rear stick better at high speed. Perhaps dropping the tail gate would help some..........Any fact behind that?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
That depends. It can help the fuel economy and equipped with the proper spoiler (functional) it can add a lot of "Stick" to the rear end. Lauren Engineering sells that spoiler.

For the front it has to be lowered and damned up to prevent the air from building up underneath. Lots os people referr to the front airdams as Front Spoilers.

On my 80 SS I've purchased all the Areo Body enhancements (IROC) to give that one stability at high speeds and all from Luren Engineering. I saw an article in Truckin' some years ago. They had nothing for the 73-77 but had all I needed for the G-Body.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah, just as well, I don't have a death-wish. I'm more of an accelleration junkie than a speed freak. There is no need for me to go over 130 to 'get my rocks off'. :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts