El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some serious stuff going on............

My "86 Elky 305, THM200 trans. is vibrating badly when in park at about 2300 rpm +. I just tuned it up, and it's running well. I also get a hard tapping noise, that is more pronounced when it revs down. I retorqued the converter to the flex-plate, it was fine. When on the FWY at about 55mph + it vibrates pretty bad. The trans shifts late out of first, and kinda "floats" into second. The Converter IS NOT locking up at all. The tach shows the engine gaining rpm instantaneously when I accelerate from 55 to 60 mph. The revs don't change when I hit the brake while maintaning speed.

HELP!! Thanks.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
This sounds very familar to my problem. Decelerating from 50 mph I get a vibration. I just replaced the tranny mount and universals, so the problem is not there.

What are the tell tale signs that the converter is about to grenade?

·
Registered
77 Posts
This may not be the same problem, but I had an 81 and it vibrated and make a clunking noise when downshifting and it turned out to be a cracked flexplate. Have you checked that? You may be able to check it without removing the trans. Drop the inspection cover and view the flexplate. You will have to rotate the engine a couple times to see all of the plate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had another thought, but you said the torque converter isn't locking up. My 86 SS with 200 4R overdrive trans will lug when slowing down and it is due to the torque converter clutch sticking. This happens mostly when hot. I have reduced the problem with a product called "TransLube", it really helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!!

I think based on your input and my observations (I did pull off the inspection plate and noticed no cracks), that I need a torque converter. I may go with a non-locking THM350 type to stop an futher problems. If I need a tranny, I will have a THM350 swapped in.

I think that rebuilding the THM200 would be foolish, unless someone can guarantee me it would handle a decent ammount of torque and abuse with some modifications. I don't plan on doing alot of freeway hopping in the Elky, so I really could care about the overdrive (or the expense of maintaining that!).

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
86SS said:
My 86 SS with 200 4R overdrive trans will lug when slowing down and it is due to the torque converter clutch sticking. This happens mostly when hot. I have reduced the problem with a product called "TransLube", it really helps.
Who makes Translube? Where is it available?

I found this one, but no translube: Smart Blend Synthetics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts