El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good, low priced converter. I know B&M is good stuff, but pricey. I found a Hughes Performance, and an Assault Racing that fit my needs. Anyone have opinions on these? Thanks in advance.

Tim

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i get my converters from tci in chino ca.about 125$ for a 1800/2300 lockup for a 700r4

·
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a th350, non lock-up, looking for about 2400 stall.

Tim

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Is the pricey converter a small tub style, like a 10 or 11 inch? If the converter can be built the stall you want and remain the stock diameter, then the price is usually reasonable. You want a stall that is right at the borderline of stock size and small tub. CCC mentioned a decent deal where he gets his converters. Stall speeds are a spread rating. I use a small converter builder called Saxco. They've got a great reputation in San Jose. For my 200-4R a 2200-2400 stall is $145. The turbine blades are brazed and heavier torrington bearings are used, a H/D one-way clutch and a H/D lining for lock-up. Saxco claims there converters at this level handle up to 450HP. I believe them. :beer:

·
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones i'm looking at are 10" 2200-2600 stall. The B&M is over 225.00, and a little out of my budget. The others are about 75.00 less. I don't know alot about converters, but I know my engine build will require this amount of stall. Does Saxco sel retail at reasonable prices?

Tim

·
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any opinion on the others I mentioned?

Tim

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just got my new one built for my car from Edge and it costed me $550.00. Those prices sound pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Here's the deal. You wanna play but don't wanna pay. HP transmission parts aren't cheap. What's in your motor that requires a high stall? :beer:
408 cid Roller motor with .600 lift and and occasional hair spray. Can't wait to run her this spring. 3.73 gears with th350

·
Registered
449 Posts
408 cid Roller motor with .600 lift and and occasional hair spray. Can't wait to run her this spring. 3.73 gears with th350
I just realized you weren't talking to me. oops. sorry

·
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the deal. You wanna play but don't wanna pay. HP transmission parts aren't cheap. What's in your motor that requires a high stall? :beer:
It's a 350, bored .030, 292 hyd.cam, roller rockers, eddy performer manifold,Q-jet, th350, and 273 posi. Nothing too radical. I would like to be able to buy the good stuff, but finances wont let me, and I need it going. Just a poor boy in Texas, trying to live the dream. Got most of the parts from a co-worker at steal of a deal, including the block. Even the tranny was free.

Tim

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I was actually asking Tim, LOL! But I'm sure that with lift like that(600) the duration is at least 300 degrees. Duration is usually the reason guys want high stalls. Not only so the motor idles fine, but your torque comes in at a higher RPM. The more duration, the higher RPM's are when your torque really kicks in. :beer:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
It's a 350, bored .030, 292 hyd.cam, roller rockers, eddy performer manifold,Q-jet, th350, and 273 posi. Nothing too radical. I would like to be able to buy the good stuff, but finances wont let me, and I need it going. Just a poor boy in Texas, trying to live the dream. Got most of the parts from a co-worker at steal of a deal, including the block. Even the tranny was free.

Tim
Tim, with those specs you can run a 2200 stall and be within budget. You can run a 12 inch converter that's been modified and be fine. :beer:

·
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, thanks Mike. BTW I like your paint and stripes, looks great.
Now, time for more research.

Tim

·
Registered
426 Posts
Old thread Info
that was a realy good run down from tranny mike.
Just to add to it.
My tranny shop buddy turned me on to a tork convertor builder.
He built my tork convertor to exact specs of my power band, cam ,super charger
and over all build.
It was better than any thing I ever bought from summit.
He did this specificly for the people at the drag strips where i live.
The pro racers were flocking to him .
My 6000 pound 76 Chevy Blazer pulled A 10.650 et at topgun .
Right before they kicked me out for breaking a 12 second et.
Had to have roll cage ect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts