El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey elk fans I am putting together my 79 after an old 305 was removed. But like most new bee’s I did not mark things well. So I have three Bolts that I think hold the flex plate to the torque converter but they look short and they have 9.8 on the head. Also should there be locking nuts on them. Should they be grade 8? I also am not sure about the bolts that go through the bell housing to the engine. Size and grade. Happy to say that I have put lots of time into this car and you have dinner in the engine compartment .Thanks ,
Low_slow

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the converter bolts are metric.metric bolts have numbers on the head to tell the strenth.9.8 are good ones. they should have a shoulder made on them, the trans to engine bolts are 3/8 by 1 1/2 in grade 5 but i always use grade 8

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes the flexplate bolts you describe, flexplate to TQ, sound like the correct ones. They are an inch or less long. There is no nuts. They screw into the threaded holes provided in the TQ.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not all torque converters have captive nuts.
Use mild thread locker and replace the nuts and bolts with grade 8.
You don't want them coming loose.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the pg and early 350 and some 400 were the most common users of the nut and bolt set up. all of the lock up trans used the threaded boss along with the later 400 s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts