El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have convertor lockup instructions for a 1984 El Camino W/ a 305 v/8 ? Ecm has been removed.
I tried searching tranny forums & can`t find instructions for a th350c, 3 speed transmission. Car did have cruise control(no longer in use) if any of it`s components can be used.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave B.:dontknow::dontknow:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I checked @ B&M, their kit is quite pricey & appears to require opening tranny to install a part. I don`t think thats all necessary. I believe there is a cheaper & easier way to do it.
Dave B.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have a 350 c in the shop i will look at it today to see if needed.on a 84 it sends a signal to the ecm to ground the solenoid.depending on how its wired inside opening the pan may be required.on the early non computer 350c you could get away all external wireing but im not posative on a ecm controled one

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot. that`s what I was trying to find. Looks like good instructions, thats how I`m going to do it.
Dave B.:nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
problems hooking up lockup onth350c

I`m hooking this up according to directions I got here yesterday. got oil pressure switch & installed no problem. Went to make connection to lockup on drivers side of tranny
& found 3 wires instead of 2. 1purple,1tan/blk,1dk grn/wht.
According to my trouble shooting guidethe dk grn/wht wire comes from top gear switch input. What do I do about this 3rd wire?
Can this car be driven a short distance w/o the lockup hooked up ?I have an appointment tomorrow to have carb& distributor changed .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dave I have read that you can operate the tranny w/o issues. Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm that. Im 96% positive.

Marvin

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I`m hooking this up according to directions I got here yesterday. got oil pressure switch & installed no problem. Went to make connection to lockup on drivers side of tranny
& found 3 wires instead of 2. 1purple,1tan/blk,1dk grn/wht.
According to my trouble shooting guidethe dk grn/wht wire comes from top gear switch input. What do I do about this 3rd wire?
Can this car be driven a short distance w/o the lockup hooked up ?I have an appointment tomorrow to have carb& distributor changed .
Find that thread from tranny mike there's a hole lot more pages with detailed info on them. The page you see here is page 34 of the thread.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I`m not finding the rest of the thread from TrannyMike, any body know what it`s listed under ?
Dave B.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a lock up 350 can be driven for ever without the lock up connected and it will never harm the trans.the od trans are different they need it hooked up but not the 350c

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found an old thread in the transmission forum from Wayne Parrish . He said when he did his th350c it had three wires on it but they were only using two of them.
THE third terminal wasn`t used on the plug on tranny . Will finish hooking it up that way in A.M & test drive . Hope it work ! Thanks to all who are trying to help me.
Dave B.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hooked up according to directions. It works to a degree,however seems to try & lockup too early at times . Will just turn it on over 45 miles per hour while I research it further .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts