El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k I'm good at math but for my tranny. oil:screwy: pan bolts why are they giving this torque info in my Haynes book? Most torque specs. are in foot lbs, So does 144 inch pound= 12 foot pounds?

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Bruce, that is a great resource. Just bookmarked it. Thanks.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
yep, basically divide inch-lbs by 12.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, basically divide inch-lbs by 12.
Thanks wonder why on the same page of spec's. they would use both? To much to do to worry about that. Thanks mike:beer: and all the guys

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Thanks wonder why on the same page of spec's. they would use both?
My guess is the small Ft Lbs number- under 10 lbs. My Torque Wrench won't go lower than 15 ( digital).

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My guess is the small Ft Lbs number- under 10 lbs. My Torque Wrench won't go lower than 15 ( digital).
O.K. it's a professional thing .:poke::beer: Could be why when they started using whatever they had left in 87 to finish the last of the El Caminos it goes with all the metric and standard bolts that they used on my truck. nothing like having to keep getting different sockets for each part i took off, NOT KIDDING WHAT A MIX!!!!!:let_it_all_out:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The 1/2" drive torque wrenches likely aren't very accurate at low settings. And torque wrenches in general may be quite in-accurate, if bought at some off-shore store.
In aviation, we get those calibrated occasionally, to make sure something doesn't get damaged. My oldest torque wrench is one I bought in 1963, a Proto. It calibrates quite close to specs, and a correction card is furnished to show any deviation from the reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts