El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1976 El Camino w Conquista Pckg
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lesson 22. Don’t pull up your ElCo rug, unless you’re ready for four more refurb jobs.

So, I pulled my ElCo's carpet & found some minor interior floor rust. My Elco has a fairly new carpet, with the attached padding keeping it ‘form fit’. A second fiber padding layer with that thick oiled cardboard sat under the carpet & it was nasty from the surface rust against the floor wells. I kept the form fit padding attached to my blue carpet, but I ditched 30lbs of that second under padding.
Over the next two weeks, I cleaned & sanded the cabin floor, patched two dime size holes with steel putty & sanded those down, then primed & sealed the entire cabin floor. With the floor clean, it was time to add better sound and heat shielding.
I lined the floor with 3 rolls of Peel & Seal Aluminum flashing & sealed all the flashing seams with 3M Aluminum Foil Tape. On top of that, I layed 2 rolls of Reflectix double bubble R-27 Insulation, secured with 3M Hi-Strength Adhesive spray & another roll of Aluminum Foil tape sealed all the Reflectix seams. I sealed Reflectix inside my door skins, too. My cabin is solid, weighs less and is damn near water proof for another 4 decades. Had I used Flex Seal instead of the P&S flashing, I’ld have a Two-Tone Blue U-Boat.

Here’s my problem
: When I laid the blue carpet back down, it is missing that second, lower, inch & 1/2 layer of 'under padding'. There is a 3/4 inch space where the carpet tunnels over the tranny.
Basically I gained R22 & lost 40dB with the two new layers of heat & sound shields, standing only 1/3 inch, but I lost mass under the rug. I secured the rear cabin carpet with the 3M adhesive spray & a few spots of carpet mud. That rear rug lays flat against the contours of the rear area floor.

Should I,
A: Pull & steam & trim the excess outer edges of the carpet for a tighter fit ? ,,, by lining up the head light change button & pulling the excess carpet from the top of the tranny hump out toward the doors.
B.
Or, can I shove in a small thick fabric, like a nylon woven house floor rug, just to pad in that form fit hump space?

The ElCo's form fitted rug was not attached to anything, except the outer edges under the door scuff plates. Is that par for the course, or should I attach it to the Reflectix on the tranny hump?
Like I did to the back rug.

Thanks in advance for the advice & cheers & jeers!

Rodmon

·
Registered
122 Posts
How about using upholstery/interior glue to matt it down? Once you install your seat/s it'll be covered and held down. I'm watching this closely because I just received my carpet kit a couple of months ago and plan on ripping out my old carpet and installing the new it as soon as I'm recovered from this broken neck situation...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about using upholstery/interior glue to matt it down? Once you install your seat/s it'll be covered and held down. I'm watching this closely because I just received my carpet kit a couple of months ago and plan on ripping out my old carpet and installing the new it as soon as I'm recovered from this broken neck situation...
what about using some of that interior upholstery foam they use for seats on convertibles and boats? that will fill up the air gap and less worry about water.
I took your advise & bought two foam seat pads. Only used one so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where do you find carpet kits! I’d like to get one

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cash, did you look at my pictures? I already have an auto carpet custom fitted and I don't need two.

Rodmon79

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
You should be able to see the images in the 1st post of this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts