El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

so my fuel pump took a sh*t this week, and so in efforts to keep it cheap and quick, i went over to the nearest auto zone and bought the generic matching fuel pump, part # 40963 from airtex.

it resembles my old broke fuel pump to the T, so i went with it. disconnected the hoses, took off the old pump, but for the life of me couldn't get the L shaped fitting off, that attaches to the carb line... it was frozen stuck with no hope, i tried everything humanly possible, and finally bent the poor sucker in half...

SO, i figured how hard could it be to find a proper fit for that little inlet? well... apparently very hard. i took a trip to two more pep boys, an auto zone and a home depot to look for the fitting, and got nothing... at one point the guy even pulled an identical fuel pump, found a 3/8 fitting, i bought it, brought it home, and IT DIDNT FIT MY SAME FUEL PUMP. i almost lost it... i don't know if its different threading, or its 5/16 or whatnot, but I'm sure you guys know of a simple solution?!

what goes in this hole?! :yell:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's a flare fitting. You probably knew that, right? you need at least a piece of tubing with the nut on it.

I had mine off yesterday; the only problem I ran into was getting the line run back up the right way, so it would reconnect to the pump.

What engine do you have? Not the V6, I hope; if not, you can use rubber hose from the fitting up to the carb.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mike,

I did read up on flare vs NPT fittings, but I'm pretty damn sure I tried both at 3/8. There was one specifically that I bought at autozone that was about a 6 inch 90 degree angle fitting, but it wouldn't fit.. It was the only part of that kind available, would oreillys or pep boys have a bigger selection? All I saw were little straight 3/8 to pipe fittings, in which case I'd have to re run my rubber hose, and that would be a huge pain

Thanks for the help!
-Nick

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The problem with most counter parts people, if it aint on the computer they are lost,, they have the brass fittings in long thin black boxes with the fitting you need behind the counter,, I worked at AZ part time for 7+ years,, love the work did not like the redneck people we had to deal with,, "give me a starter for a sb chevy,, there all the same!!!" DFo you have a NAPA near by?? They have Weatherhead fittings,, the best,, Matty man

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I also looked everywhere for a fitting.

Finally, O'Reillys ordered the fitting for me. Sorry I don't remember the part number, but it's a 90* (right angle) brass fitting. One end is threaded for the pump and the other end fits a rubber hose. With it the hose will go straight up toward the carb.

I think it might be intended to be used on a carburetor inlet, but it fits the fuel pump.

Jack

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went back to the store to pick up yet another flare 3/8 to 5/16 hose barb, as well as a hose to run to the filter... Hopefully this one fits, if not I'll just end up dropping cash on an edlebrock pump I guess hah

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
So I went back to the store to pick up yet another flare 3/8 to 5/16 hose barb, as well as a hose to run to the filter... Hopefully this one fits, if not I'll just end up dropping cash on an edlebrock pump I guess hah
:poke:
NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA.. buying an Edlebrock pump does not fix the problem. If you have money to burn just take it to the shop and let them call you when its fixed. Or send some to me..:poke:.. seriously, napa has everything you need to get your car going. Good luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey mike! haha didn't mean to sound like a total noob, the edlebrock thing was more of a cynical comment, haha

BUT! in other news, i went to auto zone and "borrowed" several fuel fittings, bought a spare 5/16 hose, some clamps, and voila, one of the 3/8 flare to 5/16 hose barb worked like a charm!!! I'm actually astonished at how much more powerful the car runs now. theres no air bubbles visible in the fuel filter, as opposed to before when more than half was air :0

only annoying part was that the pump to filter hose was wobbling loose between the alternator belt and balancer, but a few zip ties goes a long way :D

once again thanks for all the input and help, this is exactly why i always come to these forums. cheers!

-Nick

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Question of the day.. how can you have been a member since 2006 and have less than 100 posts? There are some guys that joined this year that have almost 1000 already. I think mostly they add comments like "I have no idea how to help but look how many post I have!" Its kinda like they expect more kudos with all those posts. I see they've posted something and I just go on to the next one. Sorry to ramble. Glad you got your car fixed, that's the main thing. You go dawg! images.jpeg . Oh yeah, you like loud things?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey jarhead!

I do agree with you it is a bit odd that over the past 6 years ive only accumulated 100 posts. Fact of the matter is I have a 40+ hrs a week day job, a rock band that is constantly touring, and a girlfriend that requires some attention, so the schedule is a bit shot. I am however against those who just post nonsense for the sake of post count. I use this forum mostly for reference when having trouble with the elky, and once in a while asking a question. I am not a professional mechanic so it's safe to say I don't have too much to contribute to most of the complex posts I see on here :)

Although if elcaminocentral.com had an iPhone app, that would be amazing!

Once again thanks for everyone's help! With this new fuel pump I'm having a hard time getting the tires to stick hahaha

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And yes. I very much do like loud things. Someone told me they make header valves that you can disconnect from inside the car and get open headers anytime you want? How do I even begin to look for that?! Hahah

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts