El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for anybody that has a Silverado/Sierra with a 5.3l & 6spd tranny. What weight are you comfortable hauling with that set up?

I'm looking into a new truck, I think the 5.3 would be enough, but the allure of the 6.2 has my attention.

Anyway my 25' travel trailer weighs 3300#. What it weighs with all my crap in it, I don't know. Let's say between 5-6000#.

I think most of the trucks with the 5.3 would probably have a 3.42 rearend. Do you think the 5.3 would tow it ok? I know I should take my camper and haul it with the perspective truck, but I HATE CAR SALESMEN! I would like some real world perspective first!

Thanks in advance!

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,082 Posts
Tom, my wife has a Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3, 4 speed trans and I use it quite often to pull my car trailer with vehicles on it, does just fine.

I also have a Yukon with the 6.2, 6 speed, have used it on occasion, the extra power is nice, but the 5.3 in my wife's Avalanche does just fine.

When I had a Suburban, had a 350/5.7 in it, that did just fine too, did quite a few long trips with it.

The car trailer and cargo usually are at least 5500-6000 lbs.

The 5.3 usually gets 1-2 mpg better than the 6.2, if that is any consideration?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'm with Bruce on this.

I've towed plenty of vehicles with a 5.3/4l60 combo with no problems.

I towed a 1963 c10 shortbed from northern Ark. to central Fl. on a heavy steel U-haul car trailer and still averaged 17mpg. Could hardly tell it was back there. All sorts of different terrain.

The 6 speed can only be an improvement over that.

I even towed an 18' Bayliner with a 4 cyl. S-10. That was not a happy little truck, but it towed it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for the response! I'm not try to drag race up mountains, but are you comfortable with the power going up steep hills, or do you wish you had a little more? My existing truck will only pull it in 1st gear about 25mph. And rpm's are around 4000. Don't like being over 4000 for to long cause the valves start singing to me!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
The silver with orange trim U-Haul car haulers are the ones to get. The all orange ones are the older models.
Towed the 87 Elco from Memphis to Crossville. Averaged 17.8 miles per gallon. Filled up at each end. It pulled better when trailer was loaded.
Towed it with an 04 Heritage F-150 with a 4.2 L.
60 - 65 mile per hour and it pulled like a dream.

Suitcase

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
My 99 silverado w/ 5.3 4L60E tranny with 373 gears 4X4 is rated @ 7200#'s, but with 215,000 miles on the clock & a tranny I don't trust, I've been fighting with myself attempting towing Nick's el to belton Texas. The elky came in @ 3534# w/ gear in bed.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I didnt have any really steep stuff like Colo. or somewhere but some pretty good grades and had no problems. Somewhere in the 65-80 mph range all the way.

That truck had 3.73 gears I think.

You wont have any problems with a 5.3

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I purchased a 2015 Silverado 1500 Z71. Has 5.3l & 6 speed. Took my camper out over the weekend and needless to say, I am more than pleased. Pulled a pretty long steep hill @ 50mph. There was more power there, but I liked how it pulled.

I am very pleased!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts