El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the middle of swapping a 86 corvette 350 tpi into my 72 sprint
question is what have you used for a throttle cable and trans detent cable
the stock cables come up 4 inches short (story of my life missed it by that much)
sorry i haven't the time to search archive post for an answer
gladly buy you a cold beverage for the help

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
602 Posts
When you say stock cable are you talking about the EL Camino cables? If so yes they are too short use the Corvette or camero cables they are made for the TPI. If you are going to use your original Trans ( I have a 700R4) you should still be able to use a Corvette or Camero cable even if you run the 350 TH. If you want to make life easy get the Lockar cables for a TPI and adjust as needed. Harald K :texas:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Harald K i have a voucher for a cold one for you. if you make it to Wisconsin or I make it Texas
I will make good on it. The stock cable i was referring to was the 72 sprints cable i will look into the lockar cable ....again thanks for the response

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
F-body cables should work, I had an 86 tpi, think I pulled the f-body cable with it. Had stick shift, but any tpi detent cable should be correct reguardless of what vehicle you swap in in , right?
By the way, my locar cable on my LS1 has a threaded length adjuster like a bicycle or motorcycle cable uses & on the throttle body end it has a barrel with a screw type end like you can get for lawnmowers or universal cable use. Hmmmm, just droppin ideas. Keep the non-lokar price difference for beer.

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
If you are using the stock TPI cable mounting plate, then I would stick with stock ( F-body or Corvette- Fbody probably cheaper) Throttle and TV cables. Especially the TV cable- don't want to burn up your trans. I bought an aftermarket throttle cable, and of course it didn't fit. Went to the Chevy dealer and bought GM, and guess what- they sold me the wrong one- too short. Went back and got the correct TPI cable ( don't let them sell you the TBI cable- won't fit).

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joe and Mike looks like i need to find the time to make it to the dealership. i am going to need the money i save on the cable to purchase more beer vouchers
Again thanks for saving me some time on research

1 - 6 of 6 Posts