El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I have now, I'm pretty disgusted with. Weiand intake and Edlebrock carb. Milage is fur da birdies!!! I'm thinking of a Preformer intake and a 500-650 Q-jet carb, OR A TPI system. A TPI would be more expensive, but would pretty much guarantee better milage. Anyone know of a GOOD TPI system that includes the harness and the computer chip???

·
Registered
137 Posts
Converted my 79 Elco 305 over to TPI 2 years ago. Best mod I ever did. Huge low end torque and knocks down 20 MPG on the freeway with 3.73 gears. Got a complete kit from Affordable Fuel Injection. Includes chip that they program to your specs. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Beepster, I see that MSD just introduced a new fully programmable BOLT ON fuel injection system. I saw it in a JEG's bulletin. I am going to look into for myself. Over 35 years of drag racing, MSD was one of the best products and companies I have ever dealt with. They don't make crap. They have always stood firmly behind their products, even when I abused them.
You might try Googling it. If I can find the product name or code I will post it for you. I know that JEGS and SUMMIT are offering a special deal on them including a free #6al ignition box.
Check it out!:secret:

MSD Atomic EFI Fuel Injection System - Plug and Play! THROTTLE BODY KIT they are asking $1990.00 complete

·
Registered
137 Posts
The MSD system is called ATOMIC EFI. From the limited research I have done on it, it looks great. Easy installment, self contained sensors, self programming computer, and no fuel return line (a major pain going from carb to EFI). It is a throttle body system (TBI) so you lose some of the advantages of the multi-port TPI setup. If you are looking for a bolt on and go kit, this might be right up your alley.

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
A TPI swap is a good change- lots of torque, easy starting, good mileage, looks cool. But it is not cheap, and it takes some time and work to get it done. Price wise, it's probably a little cheaper to do a TPI swap. Time wise, it's surely quicker to bolt on an aftermarket or prepared FI system. Neither one will be inexpensive!

If you like to tinker, are good with wiring, and like problem solving, then TPI can be a great project. For more info, I've posted a bunch of stuff on my website ( see signature).

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gone back and forth in my mind (yep, I dun gots one), and I've checked out the TPI and the TBI systems. I just can't see the cost to milage versus a new intake and a q-jet for cost to milage. My milage is so poor (7-8mpg) now, and I really think a Performer intake for spread bore and a q-jet would get me close enough to what a TPI/TBI could do. Maybe when I become rich and famous, I'll change my mind!!:smileyb:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the performer and q jet is a good solid set up.it will do good in power and milage.i have the performer rpm and 800 q jet on my daughters 78 nova and she getts 19 mpg without an od trans

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
My milage is so poor (7-8mpg) now, and I really think a Performer intake for spread bore and a q-jet would get me close enough to what a TPI/TBI could do. Maybe when I become rich and famous, I'll change my mind!!:smileyb:
I think this is a good call. A well tuned non-ECM Q-jet will do a good job. A CCC Q-jet is even better, and is as close to Fuel Injection as you can get with a carb. I saw just a little change in my mileage when I went to TPI. I think the increase in mileage was due to my wallet being a lot lighter:smileyb:

·
Registered
137 Posts
All of this advice is true. If all you are looking for is better MPG, it will take a LONG time for any EFI system to pay for itself, even at $4 a gallon. If you want an inexpensive, easy, and efficient setup, its tough to beat a freshly rebuilt Qjet, performer intake and a good electronic ignition system.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
absolutely correct badmoon. i have an 84 z28 with a roler cam 350/700r4/373 gears. a big qjet and blueprinted hei and it gets 21 mpg.it got 22 with all of the electronic crap on it and working

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I've already gotten the Performer RPM intake. The Q-Jet is coming from Mountain Man, and I hope will be here to put in next weekend. With all the praise of Mountain Man, I figgered I couldn't go wrong. Did some emails with Ardell, and she's quite the helpful one to keep things going!!:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts