El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well a while ago i posted if any one has done TPI swap from carb, well im an edumacated fool on the topic now, but it seems like it'd be a royal pain. I like TPI for its benefits, but i just dont know if i'll be able to get every part i may need.

So now the question arrises....do i just throw a new intake on? I decided ont he dual exhaust, but now i want a better intake to utilize it. I'd like to do a new cam if i can, but someone reccomended new heads, is that really neccesary? anyone reccomend a kit, im not looking for a drag machine, just something to give me a little more power, and the cam would definetly help give me a mean idle. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
One way to do the fuel injection swap is pick up a whole wrecked car and swap parts into yours. Take plenty of pictures as you disassemble the donor.

Here's a place for ideas that I was just referred to myself...
http://www.thirdgen.org/
There's some fuelie wizards on the board, a fuel injection section, but I haven't even figured out the stuff in the FAQ yet.

I think TPI is a great idea. It's on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get a complete tpi engine and purchuse a painless wiring harness to clean up the wiring and make you life easyr doing the same to my 79 elky used 85 tpi but wired it for 86 and up :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
the good part about a tpi is that there are gonna be less sensors than a lt1, and that means the wiring harness is alot cheaper

·
Registered
44 Posts
anybody thats been around small blocks and big blocks since their up-n-comings knows you can cram just as much power out of a carb as you can tpi. its just the efficiency of tpi thats a plus. get yourself a nice strip kit for your edel or holley and learn to tune a carb. much cheaper, easier and less headache in the long run. i can take out a 305 tpi iroc all day long with my 305 carb. its all in the tuning....

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'm building a 350 (383) motor for my Elky, carbed for now but eventually it will be Edelbrock multipoint fuel injection. I also have 2 85/87 305 Trans Ams. I'm building a 350 for the one that will be carbed the other will remain a 305 with TPI/MAF. The carb setups are much cheaper but harder to tune. The TPI setups are more reliable and efficient but definately more expensive, especially if you want to go with a larger throttle body (58mm) and aftermarket tuned ports (you'd think these parts were made of gold). Can I tell you which is better...NOPE, I haven't decided yet. If you look at how much even a used TPI setup sells for compared to a carb and good intake, that may be your determining factor as to which way you go. I guess it comes down to economics, but I do believe that a carbed engine can be made to perform better than the TPI if you get it setup right with the right carb/intake combo. Problem is will it pass an emissions test once it's done with the type of intake (AIRGAP) you'd need to perform better than the TPI. Just some things to consider...man my head hurts! :eh:

·
Registered
99 Posts
EFI is awesome but it doesn't have to be TPI... And Edelbrock has crashed and burned in my book! I had their Multi port EFI on My ZZ430 and it sucked really bad.. You only have limited ability to tune, Edelbrock can't help you and then your stuck with a piece of SH&T system that won't run enough to drive! Holley Commander 950 is the ticket for efi!! IT works, and it works right! Easy to tune, you can tune anything you would ever need or want to! I thought about TPI but it would cost some serious $$$ to get it to support high HP and Rpm... The Holley system was very affordable, very complete and very capable of supporting 430hp easily! I love it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just completed the installation of an 87 tpi in my 82 Camino. I bought a wrecked IROC camaro and a conversion wiring harness with instructions and I am glad I did. There are numerous problems to deal with other than the basic engine, intake and harness. The fuel system will have to be upgraded to provide the high pressure needed for TPI. Your computer system may need to be modified with a different output. The other accessories (A/C, alternator, power steering, etc. ) will require attention if you decide to make a complete swap like I did. Its a lot of work.

Honestly, after having gone thru this and seeing others with a nice carb powered crate motor........I would not do this again. Its too much trouble for the benefits.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If your after a certain "look" then go TPI otherwise there are many alternatives that would be much easier to install! If you ever do another EFI swap jehoney you should look into Holley's TBI systems.. I probably invested less in my commander 950 system than if I had tried to do a TPI transplant and am not RPM restriced to the poor flow characteristics of the TPI in stock trim.. Personally, I was after EFI for the drivablility and tunability it has to offer.. Pop my hood and most would think I'm runnin' a carb! Just another $.02 worth...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts