El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My 80 camino has gone thorugh 2 engine swaps recently and amist the swapping, I somehow screwed up my tranny cooler lines going to the radiator. Since I was getting ansey and wanted to drive it for the first time in 2 years, I just clamped a piece of rubber hose to the lines so the fluid ran from one line, straight into the other without going through the radiator. It worked fine and the tranny is still good after about a year. I am in the process of swapping in a 200-4R and the cooler lines were all bent and screwed up so I went ahead and chopped em off. How necessery is it to have a tranny cooler? I know they use em on trucks to keep the tranny cool during hauling, but I dont have a high performance motor or use it to haul. Whatdya think?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I think you're running on borrowed time if you don't hook up the cooler. I sugggest hooking it up. They put it there for a reason.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
dont even think about it especially with an overdrive trans.they build much more heat than anon od trans. it costs about 15$ to make new lines.not worth the risk. a cheapy bender and two 60 in 5/16 steel lines and you will have new lines.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
I think you're running on borrowed time if you don't hook up the cooler. I sugggest hooking it up. They put it there for a reason.
....:agreed:.....:beer:

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Transmissions are one of the most overlooked items on a vehicle as far as maintenance. Fluid changes seem to have gone by the wayside. Heat/overheat is a major cause of trans failure. Do yourself a favor on utilize the radiator-supplied cooler or plumb in an aftermarket cooler. Why take any chances with the 200R4, cool it!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Is the 200 you're installing a used or reman unit? If its used, be sure to flush out all the old fluid and change the filter. If you are going to a 200 from a TH350, what are your provisions for fourth gear?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ Its used. The guy I got it off of said he bought a brand new one but doesnt remember how long ago so this trans could have 10,000 miles or 100,000 miles... And as for 4th gear, im still working on it. Theres tons of wright ups on here and im trying to make sense of it all lol.

And also, since it was out and on a table, I went ahead and drained the fluid and swapped out filters just for piece of mind. The pans still off. I figured soon as I put it on and fill it with fluid, someone will say you gotta get in the pan to do the 4th gear or torque converter lockup lol

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The manufacturers put the coolers on the car for a reason. Heat is what kills the tranny. I installed a cooler in front of my radiator to keep the engine heat away from the trans fluid. If my engine overheats, it does not affect the transmission. It's a small cost with high rewards to install one. Do not attach it to the radiator. Make a small bracket and bolt it to the radiator support in front of the radiator at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
One of the biggest problems with automatics is heat and endurance,the more heat you have the less endurance.I suggest you get those cooler lines fixed and I'm sure trannymike would agree with me on this if you can I would add an extra trans cooler in front of the radiator.
You may not notice an extension in the tranny's life especially if it's already worn excessively but it does help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts