El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 Elky, 2speed powerglide, leaking fluid from pan(?) has puddled to drivers side from center over about a week.. Mobile mechanic had me pour in a stop leak, (heard that was a bad idea) and it's still doing the same leak pattern a week later. Should I be concerned? The dipstick still reads ok level.. :dontknow:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...if I replace gaskets, how many are there? I'm told the stop leak will basically kill them all? ugh..

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
I would pull the pan and replace the filter and gasket.
Also with the pan off take a straight edge and check
the pan. You are looking to see if someone over tightened
the bolts. BTW did you check fluid level with the car running engine warm
and on level ground? Others will jump on here with more and better advice

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Also forgot to say the gasket comes with the filter and only one style for a 68 P.G.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Y ou heard right, the stop leak was a horrible idea. Its in there now tho, just get a filter kit and about 5 quarts of oil, its all you will lose. then you will have a new gasket that does not leak. You will also get some of that stop leak out of there.:beer:

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
it could be the seal on the shift arm,,im not sure if theres any thing else on the left side...
get under there and check it out with a good light..
if its just a drip?? u could live with it for a while...but it could leak more going down the road...
keep an eye on it,,,dont over fill it...
changing pan gasket is messy, but its easy..dont over torq the bolts,,:texas:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet

Thanks guys-:beer: sounds better than I thought it would be.. BTW, how and when do you normally change the tranny fluid? I saw someone talk about welding a bolt on the pan for draining it?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
when,,,,most go by mileage,,on when to change the fluid...but there's hard miles and easy miles...
how,,,get a big drain pan,,,pull the bolts out of the trans pan,,,try to hit the drain pan,,
change the filter,,clean off the old gasket,,put the pan back on with a new gasket,,
fill it back up,,warm it up,,top it off,,,dont over fill it...
you can weld a nut on the inside of the pan for a drain plug,,or
check at the parts store for a add on drain plug,,they bolt on,no welding...:texas:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I change the trans oil and filter in my auto's once a year. some say its too much, probably is. I have never had a auto fail due to oil related problems tho. (shattered a few goofin around) better than half the transmissions i rebuild for people are bad because of simple neglect. dirty filter and burnt oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts