El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tranny has a shift kit in it (no clue what it is, it was installed before i bought the car) but it was set up to tow (air ride rear shocks, rease hitch etc)

i have no intention of towing with my elky ever. i finally just got it running right and realized the tranny is shifting for torque and shifting 'late'. Im trying to determine which auto tranny i have in my car... any easy way to tell like off the vin? its a 12bolt if that helps...

point is i want a little more acceleration

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,586 Posts
I have to speak in generalities here, since there's a zillion different variations of shift kits on the market and everyone does things a little different. On most shift kits, the "towing" calibration is the best setting for a bit more performance and trans temp reduction in a street-driven vehicle. The shift points are raised and shift firmness is increased over the stock settings. The alternate setting is usually some variation of a "street/strip" calibration, which elevates the shift points even higher and snaps your neck with super-firm shifts, usually very uncomfortable for normal light to medium throttle street operation.

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
Your car probably has a Turbo Hydramatic 350 (TH350) in it. Is it a three speed auto?

I understand shifting late, but what do you mean by shifting for torque?

More acceleration is most likely not going to be fixed with transmission adjustments. Quicker acceleration will require more power from the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as far as HP im just gonna swap the motor at the end of the season anyway. either going 350 crate, or an old grand national motor and go turbo'ed. havent quite made up my mind

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Ok sounds like all you need to do is a TV cable adjustment. You can auto adjust it and then drive a bit and just tweak it for what feels better to you. Stop and adjust a little after noting what MPH it goes into and out of overdrive.

:beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts