El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished breaking in my rebuilt 305 and "new" 700R4 trans. The trans was working in the Suburban it came from, but I still replaced some seals. It was relatively clean with no sign of leaks.

Took the tail housing off to change the speedo gears and replaced the tail housing gasket, rear seal, and both speedo O-rings.

Replaced the front seal, dip stick O-ring, TVE cable O-ring, TVE connector and O-ring, pan filter, and pan gasket.

Cleaned the inside and installed a new lockup kit while the pan was off.

Now it's leaking around the dip stick tube. Very slow leak that increases with engine RPM. The tube is fully inserted in the body. Maybe the O-ring "fell" inside?

Any ideas?

Jack

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
Be sure and lube the seal and dipstick tube when putting it together. It is easy to tear the seal.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the bolt that holds the dip stick tube but I can't get the dip stick tube out of the trans. I can twist it a little and can rock it back and forth, but it won't come out. I even clamped a vise-grip pliers to the tube and hit the pliers with a hammer while twisting and rocking the tube. No luck.

So, how in the world does that thing come out of the trans?

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
not being rude but are you sure you pulled the right bolt??
it should just pull out if the hold down bolt is out.
Where is tranny mike??:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not being rude but are you sure you pulled the right bolt??
it should just pull out if the hold down bolt is out.
Where is tranny mike??:beer:
Yep. Pulled the correct bolt. That's why it will twist and rock back and forth.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Is there a bracket on the tube connected to the bell housing above the starter?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
did you greese the seal before you installed it ? it should pull right out. did you use an aftermarket tube as the 700 uses a rubber sleeve not an oring ? depending on the tube you used it may be too close to the floor to alow it to come out .if its not touching anywhere it should come out.i always use the truck dipstick tube and have no issues getting them to come out

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Black_on_black said: The bends in the tube r prob. Hitting the body.

Bobby78 asked: Is there a bracket on the tube connected to the bell housing above the starter?

CCC said: did you greese the seal before you installed it ? it should pull right out. did you use an aftermarket tube as the 700 uses a rubber sleeve not an oring ? depending on the tube you used it may be too close to the floor to alow it to come out .if its not touching anywhere it should come out.i always use the truck dipstick tube and have no issues getting them to come out

Bobby, it has a bracket that bolts to the trans/engine. I removed that bolt.

CCC, I guess I did NOT replace that sleeve since I thought it's an O-ring. The trans and tube are from a Suburban.

Upon further investigation, it looks like it may have been leaking around the cooler lines. I tightened them as much more as I could.

Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts