El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

The TH350 in my ‘67 needs to be resealed/rebuilt. It’s leaking fluid while the car is running but seems to stop once it’s shut off. It won’t shift out of first gear. I’m trying to get the car to my uncle’s house about 17 miles away to work on it (he has the tools and space). Will it harm the transmission more if I limp it over there at very low speed or at least part of the way? Should I just have it towed the whole way?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Less money to pay for tow or bring tools tools to your place than pay for transmission repair or replacement. Where is it leaking from? How much fluid is it leaking for a timed period? The fact that it is not shifting into second gear could mean not enough hydraulic line pressure in transmission among other reasons because of the leak. Front pump leak or large front seal? I wouldn't take the chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it’s leaking from the front seal, very steadily. Not as fast as I’m adding it, but too fast for comfort. You’re probably right about the pressure in the lines as well. A tiny amount is slowly leaking from the connector that connects the two pieces of line leading to the cooler. I’m gonna get it towed. It’s definitely not worth the risk of further damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts