El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a small tranny fluid leak since last year after talking the car out of storage. It was not a big leak so I just added a quart of dextron III. Now this year I got quite a bigger leak, there is alot more oil on the ground.

The pan is all wet, I figure it is the pan gasket. I will be changing the gasket and filter and hopefully it solves the problem.

First question, what kind of filter would be in a 1979 with TH350? (13 bolt pan should be TH350 right?) I called Napa and they say there are 2 kinds:

1st would be the mesh screen, and 2nd would be felt.

I can return the wrong one but if I can save the trouble for a return it would be easier.

My other question, is changing the gasket and filter a simple task? or is there anything special I should know before doing that myself? Thanks for any advice!

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
I've done a few fluid and filter changes. On the most recent one I found that I needed to torque the pan bolts to specification in order to prevent it from leaking. I guess they don't make gaskets as good as they used to.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
When you remove the pan, loosen all bolts a little first, then I usually drop one corner so most of the fluid drains out. If you loosen all and try to take the pan off, you will be wearing trans fluid.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
X2 on wearing trans fluid. It's always gonna run down your arm and into your armpit !:smileyb:
I use my top-side oil remover for my boat, for sucking most of the oil out before removing the pan.
Better have a big pan under there also, to catch what misses the drain pan......

Other options: a drain plug assembly from an auto parts store.
And other places for leaks are the speedometer drive, the shift rod where it goes throungh the trans case etc, but those don't usually lose much oil. If the pan gasket doesn't solve the leak, check around for other places, like the front seal etc.
Either one of those gasket sets will work OK......

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Here's a list of seals that can make a leak look like a pan gasket. The linkage seal, filler tube seal, kick-down cable seal, the accumulator seal, sometimes a pump o-ring. If you end up changing the pan gasket and filter, do this. Take a ball peen hammer and place the round head of it on each pan bolt hole and lightly tap it with another hammer. Those holes usually get bent in a little bit and you'll get a better seal if you flatten them out. Then place the pan on a flat surface and see if it needs to be straitened out.

We do this on every service at my shop. We don't like comebacks for leaks on servicing. :beer:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Is there a sealant to be used?
Never use a sealant with a gasket. It's not necessary if you get the pan flat and the surfaces dry before installing it. There is one thing I forgot. If you have access to loctite use it on the threads. Just a drop will do. We use loctite 243 for services. If you don't have any do the rest of what I said on the last post and you'll still be good. If you want the best gasket buy a "Farpak" gasket. They are much better than cork, but you need a flat pan for a Farpak gasket to work good. :beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts