El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 67 L6, stock. I grew up working on air cooled VW’s and now a 914, but inherited my Dads ElCam. I’ve had a lot of engine work done at a shop I like and trust so it’s running like a freight train. A few weeks ago the truck sprung a major transmission fluid leak at the bottom of my sloped driveway and had to go to the shop. They identified a “small seal” leak and repaired it and topped it off. Drove it home and as soon as I parked in my sloped driveway it happened again.
Shop says 3800 for a rebuilt transmission, and that’s knocking $1000 off of the price.It’s already back home and leaked out again. This time I had plenty of kitty litter ready. Does the transmission fluid “only leaks on a slope” give anyone a clue what the heck might be going on?

·
Registered
537 Posts
So, the shop identified the oil as transmission and not engine oil? And, they repaired a small leak that they found. If it is transmission oil, I suspect what they did was replaced the rear transmission output shaft seal. If that didn't cure the leak, then the problem likely could be a cracked case or another seal between the tail shaft and main body case. I'm not a transmission guy but believe either of these would mean a total transmission tear down.

What kind of transmission do you have behind the motor? $3800 sounds kind of steep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, the shop identified the oil as transmission and not engine oil?

What kind of transmission do you have behind the motor? $3800 sounds kind of steep.
Definitely transmission leak, it wouldn’t drive forward or reverse, which is how I discovered it. It was 4AM and I had to leave it in the dip of the end of the driveway because husband and I could not push it out of the dip onto the street by ourselves. Had to wait until more neighbors were awake to help. By then I could see the huge puddle in the driveway where it had sat.
I have to to dig through my shop paperwork and hope they identified the transmission or call the shop Monday for your 2nd question. Like I said, air cooled German raised so never touched anything with a radiator on it before. I’ve replaced a transmission on my 914 myself but that’s very easy and cheap to do compared to this it seems. The sloped driveway is not safe for me to jack it up and slide under to wipe it all down and wait for the evidence. Currently my garage shop space is occupied by my 914 and too shallow to accommodate the Elky for an overnight stay even if I could top off the fluid and attempt to drive it in. The city frowns on cars on jack stands in the street but that might be my only option.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The fact that car doesn't now drive is certainly problematic and, if solely attributable to lack of trans oil, indicative of major trans oil loss. Is the oil on the driveway the size of the car or about the size of a hula hoop? From my limited auto trans experience, a torque converter leak or forward pump failure would prevent movement due to lack of trans fluid.

I live in Hawaii and auto repairs here are expensive, however, certainly NOT in the range of $3800-4800. Maybe time to check around!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you try backing up the driveway to see if it leaked. Any leak is bad but at least you could drive to another shop. $3800 sounds steep.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had same problem it was the output shaft u joint yoke. The center of the yoke had a cap on it that fell off.As crazy as that might sound I'd check it.Mine would leak every time I parked on a front incline. Other than that it was fine and never leaked a drop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The fact that car doesn't now drive is certainly problematic and, if solely attributable to lack of trans oil, indicative of major trans oil loss. Is the oil on the driveway the size of the car or about the size of a hula hoop?
Maybe time to check around!
Hey, def. hula hoop sized. And yeah, I’m going to be checking around. Husband wants me to just sell it. The fact that it runs great and just needs some suspension work (which I can tackle myself with my handy new standard tools), and of course sentimental value makes me want to keep it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks freche, I will top it off and run it flat around the block a couple times and try the “back in-up” parking!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I live in Hawaii and auto repairs here are expensive, however, certainly NOT in the range of $3800-4800. Maybe time to check around!
agree. anytime I see a quote like that from a shop, it's either:
1) greedy and they think you're dumb
2) they don't want to bother with it and are just quoting you a price to either (a) make you go away, or, (b) make it something they consider worth their while
3) they have an inflated sense of how great they are

most shop prices will be in line with each other, it will really be who ha the best reputation for a good product at a fair price

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
My 4L60E trans got rebuilt about a year ago - $2100 out the door with a one year warranty.

Rick

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Seriously: rear of the transmission can only leak in a couple of “very cheap to fix” places. Find another mechanic or watch a YouTube video. Transmission fluid is very thin so it doesn’t take much of a leak for it to really pour out. I may have missed this part, but is it a power glide or TH350?

Unless you ran over a boulder and cracked the case, which is very doubtful, your worst case is that it’s a $6.00 seal or gasket.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like you have 2 leaks. The first is tyranny to bellhousing, the second is bellhousing to floor. It shouldn't be hard to figure what's leaking by just the direction of leak. If it leaks 'nose up', then that's the torque converter, sitting higher than the tyranny. If it only leaks 'nose down', I'd say it's the seal on the tyranny. Either way, it's dumping fluid into the bellhousing at rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts