El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What size fitting go into the 2004r transmission for the cooling lines? Are they the same as the TH200? I'm changing from the metal lines to rubber transmission lines. Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Mine at the radiator and trans are 1/2 in. -20 inverted flare. I know that fits the T350 and my 4L60E. Hopefully someone can verify for the 2004r, but I think they are the same.

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. It's rubber transmission tubing. We plan to bypass the radiator and go to the Cadillac transmission cooler with a thermostat. Thanks again, the information is very helpful.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Rich
the trans usually has Adapter Fittings that go from Pipe Threads to Flair fitting,,
or you can change the adapter to a hose fitting with a barb or another type like a AN-fitting..
some of the newer Aluminum Radiators may be the same way..
and
there is a few places that make stainless braided hoses with crimped on fittings
like Hydraulic lines in different sizes too..

FLARE INVERTED SIZE.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JJ. I was looking for barbed type fitting, which I would use hose clamps to hold the hose on. All I'm needing is the two fittings for the transmission. I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I plan to by pass the radiator, when I hook up the Cadillac transmission cooler, what is a safe threaded plug to use in my aluminum radiator?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The trans cooler in the radiator is not going to leak coolant if the holes are not plugged. The main reason to close them off is to keep dirt out in case you or someone else would like to put the cooler back into service. All you need is a couple of plastic plugs to go in them. Push in or threaded would work.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
X2,, other than drip for a while..
I have left the plastic shipping plugs in on coolers not used,
not sure how they hold-up to the heat tho, some may get brittle..
many-many different kinds of plastic now days too,,
some are hi-heat as far as melt temp too, some not so much..

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The trans cooler in the radiator is not going to leak coolant if the holes are not plugged. The main reason to close them off is to keep dirt out in case you or someone else would like to put the cooler back into service. All you need is a couple of plastic plugs to go in them. Push in or threaded would work.
Thank you. That was the main reason I'm trying to find plugs for it. It was nice to hear my thoughts were correct. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
X2,, other than drip for a while..
I have left the plastic shipping plugs in on coolers not used,
not sure how they hold-up to the heat tho, some may get brittle..
many-many different kinds of plastic now days too,,
some are hi-heat as far as melt temp too, some not so much..
Thanks JJ. I was considering trying plastic fittings. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts