El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original transmission (automatic), worked fine but had a leak, had to drop the pan and replace all the seals, put it all back together and now its only got reverse, had no shavings, and the fluid was fine before, havent pulled it back apart yet to check again

any ideas why it would only have reverse now?...

oh yeah and... its my First car, and First elky all in one.. i dont have a shop or anything like that, just blocks and a floor jack doing it all the hard way.

i've asked a few mechanics about it and got differing opinions rangeing from i "shocked it" to i must have the vaccum lines mixed up, i've checked the lines there fine. dont know anything about how to check if i shocked it or what that even means..

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
When you dropped the pan there is only one seal, the pan gasket,, what other seals did you replace?? Is the camino level?? What fluid are you using? Did you remove a vaccum line? If so its the modulator on the pass side, it needs manifold vaccum,, not off the carb,, sounds like it low on fluid, you normally lose 4 to 5 quarts when doing a filter change.. Did you change the filter and gasket?? Tryin` to run in my little mind on what else could be your problem,, double check the fluid level,, at a level stance,, thats important,, let us know on the rest,, see if we can get it back to moving,, matty man

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car is sitting with a very minimal slant to the front. not perfectly level but close when i jack it up i level it out i replaced the filter, pan gasket, front and rear seals, and put it all back together, and put the fluid back into it a qt at a time checking the fluid level. it shifts into reverse and isnt sluggish at all, but when trying forward gears it has a whining sound and doesnt move, (like if its low on fluid) but the fluid is full or atleast shows full on the dipstick, (checked after idleing 20 minutes or so)

i dont have it up on blocks at the moment but i'm going to do that today and re-check the fluids and all. if you can help with a check list of things to go about checking to help diagnose the issue that would be helpful it will take me quite awhile to get it setup because i dont have any help doing any of the work, just me a floor jack and basic tools, wrenches etc.

if you guys could help me get it moving again it would be much apreciated, i've enjoyed having an elky as my first car for a few years now but as of late its not much fun, had to replace a steering collumn and a few smaller things. now this transmission issue.. anyway any help is apreciated :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Well you could of done some damage buy putting in 1 quart at a time,, the internal parts are spinning around without fluid to lube & cool,, can you remember how long took place adding 1 at a time? Are you using Dexron III fluid? The slant to the front is better than to the rear, the filter is closer,, the filter,, did you remove the small gasket from the old filter (not stuck onto the valve body) and did you use a new gasket? If there is no gasket that could cause issues as well, suck air instead of fluid,, check the fluid level and let us know,, matty man

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i put the first 3 qts in then checked it, then added another qt, checked then added another and checked it the final time, i was told it takes some time for the fluid to work its way through the transmission and that sometimes it has to run for a bit and then it will need more, i had hoped that was my issue and have checked the fluid regularly (always after letting it warm up) it only took me roughly 4-5 minutes to add the fluid, i'm low on fuel i'll need to make a trip to the gas station before i can run it to check fluids again. and yes, i used the right fluid. thanks for taking your time to help matty, its really been a bummer not having it running especially now that its summer.

oh, and yes i replaced the small gasket on the filter. as soon as i get the fuel i'll start it up and check the fluids and get back to you. should be today.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Run the shifter thru all the gears a few times in idle (brakes on) to get the oil circulated.
Are you sure the shift linkage is back where it belongs? Does the detent in the column match the detents in the trans shift arm? When the trans is in Park, and the column is in Park, the rod from the trans should slide through the nylon bushing in the column shifter arm easily with no binding. If not, re-adjust the length by loosening the bolt that sets the length and re-set it.
Just some things to check etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts