El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed my th250 from my 1984 el camino conquista and i am going to remove the chevy 3.8l 229. I am getting a 350 v8 if i get a th400 will i have to do anything to get the drive shaft to fit or anything else to make it work? thanks!

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Is that a hard swap project?
Sorry, I misunderstood the 1st question. I thought you were putting in a 400 motor and 350 trans. I'd run a 350 tranny in that. It can handle the horsepower if built right, and the installation is super easy since it fits in place of a 250 exactly.

If you do go TH400 you'll need to shorten the driveline and get a special u-joint and a different yoke. The crossmember will have to be moved back just as if you were installing a 200-4R, and the mount is different. The linkage will work, the vacuum line has to be re-routed, a different filler tube and converter cover. You'll need to get a different flexplate, and the kick-down for passing gear is electric. You'd need to install a switch either inside the car at the pedals or a switch at the carb to make passing gear work. The cooler lines are no problem. Off the top of my head that's what you'd need to do. Oh, the speedo gears will need to probably be changed unless you're lucky and the trans came from a car with a similar diff ratio.

In my opinion the 350 is the way to go. The 400 is a great trans except for 2 things, the extra weight and the horsepower it eats up to run it. If I think of anything more I'll add to this list. :beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.