El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to remove tranny before pulling engine out. I have a THM250c connected to a 305 CID. How many bolts hold it on? What do I have to do after I remove the bolts.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Choo, Thx for the question. Most of us have done this way too many times!! To pull the engine, you'll need to move the trans back about 2 inches or so. Remove the drive shaft at the REAR u-joint and let the shaft hang; don't pull the drive shaft out the trans rear. Remove the three torgue converter bolts (here you need to turn the motor over w/a flywheel tool) You'll also need to remove the trans cooler lines from the radiator..(fluid....) Of course, take the shifter linkage loose and let hang.
Pull the distibutor for easy access to the top three bolts on top of the trans..You'll then need to go under the trans and remove the remaining (I think 2 bolts) . Slide the trand back then start on the engine removal.... Would everyone else please chip in on this!!! Dale

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Don't forget to support the trans when you slide it back. Be sure the torque converter doesn't slip off --- messy trans fluid spills out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
CHOO;;;;if you plan on removing the trans BEFORE the MOTOR: car on jackstands, support bottom of motor with a hydraulic jack ( you'll need to move motor up and down) remove dist. remove drive shaft, try to seal the back of trans to prevent fluid lose. support trans on a hydraulic jack, remove bolts holding trans to crossmember, and remove crossmember, remove bolts holding trans to motor 5 I believe ,(move motor down to get to top bolts) ,remove 3 torque converter bolts and trans fluid lines ,slide trans back and down ,ansd slide out !
Anyone can chime in if i neglected to include something .

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
you'll prolly have to drop the exhaust to do any of this

there will be some sort of linkage(s) between the trans and engine. may just be kickdown linkage, but that will need to come off.

as far as supporting the trans after removing the crossmember, use a stack of 2 X 12s, or other support.

be sure and use a piece of 2 X 10 or 2 X 12 between the cup on the jack and the trans pan, also between the jack and oil pan, so you don't push the bottoms of them in.

except for the exhaust, almost everything you unhook under there will try to leak some sort of fluid. look at what you are about to do and think about it before you act (always good advice when working on any kind of vehicle).

Use jackstands and always be safe

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There are 6 bolts that clamp the tranny to the motor, get a 3/8 extension, the 18 inch one and a swivel,, they are 9/16 socket, use a 6 point socket,, you will get intimate with the body flange right in the way of you trying to remove the bolts of the trans,,, Matty man

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
btw, some of you may remember that I posted comparison pics of a 350 and a 200-4R trans, and the 200 leaves a LOT more room around it inside the trans tunnel (it's smaller diameter, and the angle of the slope on top is different).

while I've had my trans out (replacing 350 with a 200-4R) I beat that flange over flush with the tunnel, for even more room

:poke:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
{I beat that flange over flush with the tunnel, for even more room}

I plan on doing that too before going back with the 454.
Donny

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i always pull both and reseal the trans while its out for good measure ,i hate oil leaks and its a perfect time to do some pm. on the trans

1 - 11 of 11 Posts