El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 El Camino
Over drive transmission

This transmission has started to slip when you take off and grab and go. Really bad on a hill. It was rebuilt about 5 years ago and has less than 10000 miles on it. The slipping is starting to get worse.

Is this a TVR cable adjustment problem? Are the clutches just starting to go out this soon??? Could it be something else???

Just looking for some guidance on how to proceed to try and figure out what the problem is.

Reb

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Whats the condition of the fluid?
Burnt?, Full?

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
If it's been working well for 5 years, and you haven't messed with the carb linkage or TV linkage lately, then it's not going to be the cable. Check the fluid level and condition as said before. Check it right when you start it cold. If it doesn't read on the stick or is very low, then go get a couple of qts of Dexron. Then you need to look for a leak. If it's not low then you have a problem in the trans. You can pull the pan and look, but there are no adjustments for a 2004R. You'd need to have the trans pulled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is my neighbors. We just overhauled the engine so I have had the TVR cable off and put it back on.

The transmission was only 1/2 quart low and we filled it up. It was red and did not smell burnt.

I took it for a drive and what is going on is right after you take off it shifts to 2nd very quickly and revs the rpms up a little between shifts. After second it shifts normally with no engine rev up.

Does that help out any????

Reb

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
The car is my neighbors. We just overhauled the engine so I have had the TVR cable off and put it back on.

The transmission was only 1/2 quart low and we filled it up. It was red and did not smell burnt.

I took it for a drive and what is going on is right after you take off it shifts to 2nd very quickly and revs the rpms up a little between shifts. After second it shifts normally with no engine rev up.

Does that help out any????

Reb
I'd reset the adjustment of the TV cable just to be sure it's OK. Press on the button at the cable right by the bracket that holds it to your manifold, slide the cable all the way back, let off the button. Then go full throttle with the gas pedal and it should ratchet automatically and get you very close or exactly where you need it. :beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
my 85 el camino surges and hesitates just when warm is this a throttle body problem or fuel filter or cat converter ???? 4.3 engine ..would appreciate any help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts