El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 will camino
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew the transmission in my 72 el camino a couple months ago. It's the original th350. Today a buddy of mine gave me a used th350 or of his 74 el camino. I want to rebuild the new one and put in a shift kit before I put it in my 72. How much should this run me in southern California. San Diego area. You can see my el camino on my Instagram @reidmb33

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
Welcome Reid. Most of us won't be able to see Instagram without an account.

If it helps, for my 1970 El Camino, I use Dave Dibbs at Orange County Transmissions.
It seems at least half of their work is 1975 and earlier.
OCTrans is in Costa Mesa, about an hour north of you up the 5/405 fwy.
Heavy O'side traffic and OC Airport area traffic will take longer on high traffic timeframes.
Shop number is (714) 546-9900

@fauxrs or @Caballero Joe @BigAl 327 may also know of a San Diego County location.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,126 Posts
I also know of a guy in Santee that's really good. I'll have to find his contact info, if you need it.
If the others don't pan out, let me know.

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
Hi riedmb33, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 72 El Camino. Have fun with your 72 El Camino and the community. Merry Christmas 🎄

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,668 Posts
I was mostly asking how much it should cost me.
that will depend on the shop doing the work, their reputation, and their warranty. anywhere from $800 (dirt cheap cut corners) to $3000+ . some will simply rebuild it, others won't do the work unless they actually pull it from the vehicle and reinstall it since they won't guarantee the work of some other mechanic installing it

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Just call them up and ask them but be prepared to answer and ask a few questions:

New or rebuilt torque converter?

Warranty length in months and miles?

New valve body or an oversize ream repair of yours?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
It might be worth looking at one of the online sites to help get some of those answers to trans shop questions in advance.

One way is to look at the TCI 350 trans and compare the specs.
These two are TCI 350 on the JEGS site.
Street Rodder TCI 311038: Street Rodder Transmission Chevy 1969-79 GM TH350 - JEGS High Performance
Street Fighter TCI 311000: StreetFighter Transmission Chevy 1969-1979 GM TH350 - JEGS High Performance

When comparing, note that you want the
  • Chevy bolt pattern, rather than BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac)
  • Correct tail shaft length to match your current installed trans (they came in 6 and 9 inch)
  • Shift kit may have different meanings to some of us. Do you mean for it to also include the ability to better support automatic and manual shifting? That can mean a different valve body and related changes
  • Does it include moving your current speedo gears from the transmission to the replacement trans to keep the same accuracy? Or are you off quite a bit and need to replace them?
  • Does it include a trans dip stick?
  • Does it include a torque convertor? If so, what stall and will a cooler be required.
  • Any installation/installer and or cooler items needed for the warranty?

This could help you be prepared for questions when you call a couple local shops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.