El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a 700r4 dropped in my 86 el and was wondering if It will have a lockup or non lockup convertor.
which one will improve my mpg's ?

·
Registered
802 Posts
All ODs are lock-up and it has to stay a lock-up. I dont think they make a non-locking converter for those. Well worth the swap though! You can get 20 mpg+!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My Grand National (200 4R) turns itself into non-lockup on long drives! :yell: That's always interesting as you forget then you try to slow down from 70 and it wants to stay locked.:driving: :dontknow::eek3:

·
Registered
589 Posts
All ODs are lock-up and it has to stay a lock-up. I dont think they make a non-locking converter for those. Well worth the swap though! You can get 20 mpg+!
If there's no juice to the lockup solonoid, it doesn't lock the converter. And yes, you can convert a 700, or the much more superior 200, and run a non-lockup converter.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Err woops! I meant that mine is a lockup that won't unlock at times... that was probably clear from what I typed after that, lol. Yeah it can get interesting if I forget to put it in neutral and it keeps trying to drive as I'm trying to stop! Someday I'll fix it, it's on the list of minor glitches. Right now the major glitch is that the car is 10,000 miles away. I might try to remedy that one soon tho.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Err woops! I meant that mine is a lockup that won't unlock at times... that was probably clear from what I typed after that, lol. Yeah it can get interesting if I forget to put it in neutral and it keeps trying to drive as I'm trying to stop! Someday I'll fix it, it's on the list of minor glitches. Right now the major glitch is that the car is 10,000 miles away. I might try to remedy that one soon tho.
I knew what you meant. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts