El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys so today I was driving my car I was rolling at about 25 miles and hr I threw the car from drive to 2nd hammered down on the gas went to shift from 2nd to drive and my b&m shifter went past drive into neutral , I tried to put it back in drive from neutral and nothing wouldn’t engage now the car rolls in every gear but park . Th350 new torque converter 383 motor new 3.73 rearend . And info would help I’ve never worked on transmission before fluid is full vacuum is hooked up to manifold

·
Premium Member
5,832 Posts
With car turned off and wheels chocked.
Can you have someone else move the shifter while you watch to see if the shifter cable is moving at the trans connection.
If not, the shifter cable may have worked loose at the trans or at the shifter connection.

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
472 Posts
Sounds like a linkage / cable problem, not a vaccum line problem. If the cable is okay, then check the vaccum line at the vacuum modulator for trans fluid. If it is wet, then you blew the vacuum modulator dighram which may result in your symptoms (but sounds more like cable) and it needs to be replaced. Should not cost too much. Were you making any adjustments to the cable, governor or modulator prior to this problem?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shift cable is still attached and shifting properly no fluid coming out of vacuum module… I believe it’s internally in the trans it’s a stock gm th350 trans with a 3000 huges performance stall torque converter I have a 383 stroker motor and 3.73 posi gears 10 bolt 7.5 the car has been sitting for 10 years before I put new motor and rearend in . I think when I shifted from 2nd threw drive to neutral and back to drive I burnt up the tranny.. weird part is fluid looks normal

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think when I shifted from 2nd passed drive into neutral and back into drive at high rpm I may have fried something inside the tranny . Shifts into park fine all other gears car just rolls like it’s in neutral … with ignition off I shift car threw the gears and it just rolls in every gear like it’s in nuetral

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I shifted from drive to 2nd at about 25mph hammered down on it went to shift from 2nd to drive and over shifted drive right into neutral , then I tried to shift from neutral to drive obviously at high rpm and nothing car feels like it’s in nuetral in every gear…except park it locks in …. So 87next2last1 how do u know I busted something on the inside lol … you said ask you how you know !!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think when I shifted from 2nd passed drive into neutral and back into drive at high rpm I may have fried something inside the tranny . Shifts into park fine all other gears car just rolls like it’s in neutral … with ignition off I shift car threw the gears and it just rolls in every gear like it’s in nuetral
You may want to put it safely on jack stands and see if you move the shifter in the car it also move the shifter on the trans. From what you described it sounds like you will see it moving which most likely a convertor or pump issue (no pressure) since no gears work and it goes into park. Please let us know what you find.

BTW - I believe you can rent a pressure gauge from the part store to verify.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The torque converter was installed correctly and is brand new less than 100 miles on it it’s a 3000 stall torque converter, I have a local trans guy who builds high performance transmission th350 for 799$ out the door .. I have to drop tranny and install tranny when completed of course… so pretty much I did a nuetral drop 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
442 Posts
Do yourself a favor first, and go to the part store and rent a pressure gauge. You can check for pressure but I do not think you find any. Once the trans is out the pump can be pulled out easy enough by removing the captive bolts and a pair of slide hammers. The convertor can be checked pretty easily if it only turns in one direction, if so, it should be ok. Trans shop should be able to verify. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks guys once I get the tranny out of the car I’ll check the converter and pump how exactly do I check to see if the torque converter is good or not. Gonna try to get it out this week

·
Deputy National Director
10,184 Posts
Yes I shifted from drive to 2nd at about 25mph hammered down on it went to shift from 2nd to drive and over shifted drive right into neutral , then I tried to shift from neutral to drive obviously at high rpm and nothing car feels like it’s in nuetral in every gear…except park it locks in …. So 87next2last1 how do u know I busted something on the inside lol … you said ask you how you know !!!!!
Lol
Because when I was young & stupid
I tried that, gave it a lot pedal & drop into drive, tried to drive home in 1st gear & it didn't last long in 1st , ever since then never did that again lol

Reactions: Caballero 81

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question a stall torque converter 2500 which is what I believe I have I know it’s huges performance but anyway so if you have a stall converter 2500 does thing supposed to break the tires loose at 2500 or as soon as you put it in gear bc before my trans went out the tires would break free ass soon as u put it in gear

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have had B&M 10" 3000 stall and 11" 2400 stall convertors in th350 and neither hit hard when I put the cars in gear like what you are describing. The stall convertor would flash up in RPM when I took off, kind of like the trans was slipping more so with the 10" but I could idle at a stop around ~1k and the car would not push or lug the motor. I believe the stock th350 convertor is 12" 1600 stall.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i put it up on jack stands and ramps I pulled the drive shaft the shift cable the speedo cable and disconnected the battery. I wasn’t able to spin the tailend of the trans in park but I was able to turn the tailend in one direction but not the other direction in each gear R N D 2 1 .. when I say tailend I mean the part where the drive shaft goes in

1 - 20 of 51 Posts